Engineering students at UW-Madison can participate in more than 50 engineering-affiliated student organizations, most of which host outreach activities. A few student organizations are especially dedicated to community service.
Known as the Wisconsin Idea, the concept that education should influence lives beyond the boundaries of the classroom has deeply influenced the culture of UW-Madison for more than a century and is particularly evident in the College of Engineering. Faculty, staff and students uphold the Wisconsin Idea every day through research and activities that benefit people across the state, nation and world.
Wisconsin Idea Stories
- Sabbatical offers inspiration to ISyE associate professor
- UW-Madison spinoff on track to build medical isotope source in Janesville
- GERS students bring science and engineering to underrepresented minority students in Madison
- Researchers bring geothermal energy to rural Wisconsin
- UW-Madison and other universities receive NSF grant to investigate human and water security in Ethiopia
- Heavy-duty neutron accelerators paint promising future for UW-Madison spinoff
- University-industry team receives funding to develop energy-efficient small engine technologies
- Innovative cancer treatment machine: Still made in Wisconsin
A partnership between Civil and Environmental Professor Michael Oliva and the Wisconsin Department of Transportation to advance innovative bridge construction techniques is one of many examples of research benefiting people beyond campus.
The College of Engineering maintains active knowledge- and technology-transfer partnerships with government and industry. These collaborations spark innovative research ideas and offer faculty, staff and students valuable opportunities to solve complex, multidisciplinary challenges.
View Industry Consortia for a list of the college's research consortia.
The College of Engineering offers a wide variety of outreach opportunities for students from kindergarten to graduate school. A few of these opportunities include Science Olympiad, Young Scientists of America and Engineering Expo. View more.
Visit Science on Campus for UW-Madison campus-wide science outreach programs.