Engineering students at UW-Madison can participate in more than 50 engineering-affiliated student organizations, most of which host outreach activities. A few student organizations are especially dedicated to community service.
Known as the Wisconsin Idea, the concept that education should influence lives beyond the boundaries of the classroom has deeply influenced the culture of UW-Madison for more than a century and is particularly evident in the College of Engineering. Faculty, staff and students uphold the Wisconsin Idea every day through research and activities that benefit people across the state, nation and world.
Wisconsin Idea Stories
- UW-Madison engineers contribute expertise to Oshkosh Corporation
- Communities have turned to water resources program for 50 years
- Project will bring light to Ethiopian villages
- Sea Caves Watch promotes kayaker safety in northern Wisconsin
- UW-Madison leading $2.6 million effort to improve solar plants
- Madison campus leader visits Oshkosh Corporation, site of UW-industry collaboration
- To India and back: BME design students motivated to reduce infant mortality
- CSI Discovery: 3-D scanning researchers partner with Wisconsin law enforcement
A partnership between Civil and Environmental Professor Michael Oliva and the Wisconsin Department of Transportation to advance innovative bridge construction techniques is one of many examples of research benefiting people beyond campus.
The College of Engineering maintains active knowledge- and technology-transfer partnerships with government and industry. These collaborations spark innovative research ideas and offer faculty, staff and students valuable opportunities to solve complex, multidisciplinary challenges.
View Industry Consortia for a list of the college's research consortia.
The College of Engineering offers a wide variety of outreach opportunities for students from kindergarten to graduate school. A few of these opportunities include Science Olympiad, Young Scientists of America and Engineering Expo. View more.
Visit Science on Campus for UW-Madison campus-wide science outreach programs.