Centers, Consortia and Institutes
Our centers, institutes and consortia help drive discovery
A diverse, robust array of engineering research centers, institutes, research groups and consortia builds on UW-Madison’s rich tradition of cross-disciplinary research and helps advance knowledge and discovery and create connections within the research community and with industry and the private sector. The College of Engineering is home to many nationally and internationally recognized research centers, institutes and research groups.
Trans-departmental research centers and institutes
Grainger Institute for Engineering—an incubator for transdisciplinary research and technological advances across the College of Engineering
Materials Research Science and Engineering Center—an NSF-sponsored center that brings together interdisciplinary teams to advance knowledge of disordered materials
Forward BIO Institute—an initiative to advance biomanufacturing research, entrepreneurship and workforce development
Machines, Algorithms and Data Lab (MADLAB)—a center of excellence focused on developing the next generation of machine learning theory, algorithms and applications
Wisconsin Institute for Healthcare Systems Engineering—brings together practitioners and researchers to create new knowledge and design better systems in healthcare
Women in Science and Engineering Leadership Institute—working to increase the representation, advancement and workplace satisfaction of female faculty and members of underrepresented groups on the faculty and in leadership at UW-Madison
Several core college facilities support college research. Among those is the Wisconsin Centers for Nanoscale Technology, suite of shared instrumentation facilities providing equipment, facilities and expertise in microelectronics, nano-fabrication technology, electron microscopy, micro-analysis and soft materials characterization.
Department centers and research groups
Our engineering departments are home to more than 150 research laboratories and groups, including the multi-investigator centers listed below. Visit any of our departmental research websites to learn more about their research areas of focus, laboratories, and the people who are driving discovery within them. You can also browse our faculty and staff directory to learn more about individual research interests.
Biomedical Engineering Explore our research areas.
Chemical and Biological Engineering Explore our research areas.
Civil and Environmental Engineering Explore our research areas.
- Modified Asphalt Research Center
- Traffic Operations and Safety Laboratory
- Water Science and Engineering Laboratory
- Wisconsin Structures & Materials Testing Laboratory
- Wisconsin Transportation Center
Electrical and Computer Engineering Explore our research areas.
- HSX Plasma Laboratory
- Power Systems Engineering Research Center
- Wisconsin Electric Machines & Power Electronics Consortium
Engineering Physics Explore our research areas.
- Center for Plasma Theory and Computation
- Fusion Technology Institute
- Wisconsin Institute for Nuclear Energy Systems
Engineering Professional Development Learn about our courses and degree programs.
Industrial and Systems Engineering Explore our research areas.
- Center for Health Enhancement Systems Studies
- Center for Human Performance and Risk Analysis
- IOT Systems Research Center
- Center for Quality & Productivity Improvement
- Center for Quick Response Manufacturing
- UW-Madison e-Business Institute
Materials Science and Engineering Explore our research areas.
Mechanical Engineering Explore our research areas.
- Engine Research Center
- Polymer Engineering Center
- Solar Energy Laboratory
- Wisconsin Applied Computing Center
Through research consortia, the college shares its expertise with government and industry. Members benefit through seeing work in progress, helping set research directions, and interacting with faculty and students.
- Engine Research Consortium
- Industrial Refrigeration Consortium
- Modified Asphalt Research Consortium
- Polymer Engineering Center Industrial Consortium
- Power Systems Engineering Research Center
- Quick Response Manufacturing Consortium
- University of Wisconsin Advanced Materials Industrial Consortium
- University of Wisconsin E-Business Consortium
- Wisconsin Electric Machines and Power Electronics Consortium