Navigation Content
University of Wisconsin Madison College of Engineering
You are here:
  1. Home > 
  2. News > 
  3. News archive > 
  4. 2005 > 

UW-Madison Concrete Canoe Team Wins 3rd Consecutive National Competition

UW-Madison Concrete Canoe Team

The Badger concrete canoe team paddled to their third consecutive win in the ASCE Concrete Canoe competition. Photo: Bart Boatwright, courtesy of the American Society of Civil Engineers (large image)

UW-Madison civil and environmental engineering students defended their first-place title in the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) National Concrete Canoe Competition in Clemson, S.C., June 25-27.

"UW-Madison is the only school in the history of the ASCE Concrete Canoe competition to win three consecutive times. Our students are very proud and excited, and deserve our congratulations," says Civil and Environmental Engineering Professor Steve Cramer. "This is an incredibly competitive event. All of the students in this competition pour their hearts and souls into designing and building the best boat possible. So it's fun, it's educational, but they are also very serious about it."

The Badgers' 21.5-foot, 175-pound, orange, black and white canoe, the Taliesin, defeated entries from 20 other top engineering schools from across the country. For their creativity and innovation, the team earned a $5,000 scholarship from Degussa Admixtures, Inc.

The team's closest competitors were Clemson University and Michigan Tech University. Clemson, the host school for this year's competition, paddled into second place with their black, 202-pound, 21.4-foot Aces Wild; and Michigan Tech finished a close third with the black, 175-pound, 20-foot The MacInnes.

Engineering students competed for $9,000 in scholarships by posting the best overall score in several categories. The races, both endurance and sprint combined, counted for 25 percent of the teams' overall score. The remaining 75 percent was comprised of an academic paper, an oral presentation detailing their design, and the end product--the final racing canoe.

Prior to the races, the canoes had to pass a "swamp" test where the students completely submerge the canoes in a tank of water to prove that they are still able to float horizontally when filled with water. Canoes were measured, weighed and judged based on aesthetics by both the national competition judges and the competitors.

Women's Endurance Race — UW 2nd place
Final Product — UW 2nd Place
Men's Sprint — UW 2nd Place
Design Paper — UW 1st Place
Coed Sprint — UW 1st Place
Women's Sprint — UW 2nd Place
Presentation — UW 5th Place
Men's Endurance Race — UW 1st Place

The three-day event was made possible by the generous support of founding sponsor Degussa Admixtures, Inc., and additional sponsors Baker Concrete Construction, CEMEX, Pennoni Associates Inc., SI Concrete Systems, 3M Specialty Materials Division and U.S. Silica Company.

Archive
6/28/2005