Patient Safety Certification Program
Certificate in Patient Safety
It has been estimated that at least 98,000 US adults die each year from medical errors; fewer people die from breast cancer, AIDS or auto accidents. The costs associated with preventable medical errors exceed $17 billion. To help train scientists and practitioners to effectively reduce the likelihood of preventable patient harm, the University of Wisconsin-Madison is offering this Graduate Certificate in Patient Safety. The Certificate is supported by the School of Medicine and Public Health, School of Nursing, School of Pharmacy, and College of Engineering.
Objective: To increase student knowledge about how systems engineering and systems design can be used to identify, analyze and solve patient safety research and applied problems.
- Accepted into a graduate or professional degree program
- Full- or part-time graduate student status
- One of the following three:
- A degree in a health-care-related field (that is, nursing, medicine, pharmacy, population health, public health, health care administration, health systems management, health care management), or
- Work experience in health care delivery, or
- Have taken a course in health care delivery such as Health Systems Engineering (IE 417), Health Care Systems (Nursing 105), Health Systems and Health Care Delivery (Law 940), or Introduction to Health Services Research (Population Health 796).
The reason for the three options for prerequisites is to allow people with and without healthcare backgrounds to obtain the certificate.
IMPORTANT: students must choose one of the core faculty members listed below as an advisor. The advisor will determine if a student has met the pre-requisite requirement. Advisors must sign the section of the curriculum form titled “Patient Safety Certificate Application and Completion” in order for students to enroll.
How to obtain the Patient Safety Certificate
- To complete the Patient Safety Certificate application, please complete a Patient Safety Declaration Form.
- The semester you plan to graduate, please complete the Patient Safety Certificate Completion Form and obtain your advisor’s signature.
Any questions about this process can be directed to email@example.com.
- GPA of 3.2 or above for the Patient Safety Certificate Curriculum courses (mandatory and elective combined).
- Completion of all mandatory and elective courses.