- Undergraduate program ranked #12 best in the U.S. (U.S. News and World Report).
- Graduate program ranked #8 best in the U.S. (U.S. News and World Report).
- UW-Madison ranked #26 best engineering school in the U.S. (U.S. News and World Report,)
- In the latest published review of doctoral programs by the National Research Council, the department ranked highly in average number of citations per publication, average number of research awards per faculty member, and number of PhDs granted.
Welcome to the Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering!
Our department has a history of strong commitment to both teaching and research in the field of industrial and systems engineering. We are a national leader in research funding which places world class faculty, opportunities, and facilities at your fingertips. Our faculty, respected nationally and internationally, are leading the way in education and cutting edge research in the following areas:
- Decision Sciences and Operations Research
- Health Systems Engineering
- Human Factors and Ergonomics
- Manufacturing and Production Systems
- Quality Engineering
Did you know?
After graduation there are many different job opportunities available to industrial engineers. Many are employed in some facet of manufacturing where they interface with many types of professionals and work to blend technology, people, money and information together for smooth and efficient operations. Job opportunities outside manufacturing industries abound as well— in fact, there is virtually no limit to what can be done using industrial and systems engineering! Industrial engineers work in hospitals and medical centers, telecommunication companies, research laboratories, education systems, airline and transportation companies, banks, consulting organizations, and more. Many management positions are filled with industrial engineers, both at entry levels and later as career advancements.
Mission, Vision and Priorities
Create, acquire, assimilate, apply, and transfer knowledge for the design, analysis, improvement and implementation of complex systems that include humans, materials, equipment and other resources — the essence of industrial and systems engineering.
To be a top-ranked industrial and systems engineering department recognized for our:
- Innovative educational curricula and learning experiences
- Strong, balanced research program
- Positive and diverse learning environment
- Beneficial outreach/technology transfer activities
- Leadership in the industrial and systems engineering profession
- Support and reward excellence and innovation.
- Create competencies for life-long learning.
- Foster environments for teamwork, diversity, and good university citizenship.
- Create partnerships with industry, government, and alumni.
- Act with professional and ethical responsibility.
- Advance the reputation of the industrial and systems engineering profession, the ISyE department, and the university.
- Reinventing manufacturing
- Reengineering healthcare
- Inventing new industrial engineering methods
- Strengthen our department’s position as a leader in healthcare research.
- Position ourselves well to capitalize on College, regional, and national research initiatives in the manufacturing area.
- Adapt our undergraduate program to handle increasing enrollment, freshman admissions, and evolving technologies.
Rachael Conrad: Regional Vice President of Sales, Services, and Solutions (North America), Rockwell Automation
Ric Elert: President, Conversant Media
Dave Klante: Principal, DKE Consulting
Tina Lamers: Senior Director of Engineering, Otter Products
Nick Lochner: Managing Director, Accenture
Nick McDonough: Vice President (Performance Advisory Office), Advocate Aurora Health
Maria Palma: Principal, RRE Ventures
Anshul Pande: Chief Technology Officer, Stanford Children’s Health
Jessica Rannow: District Operations Manager, AmerisourceBergen
Sandra Ringelstetter Ennis: Chief Operating Officer, NERA Economic Consulting
Chris Samborski: Vice President (Strategic Finance), Martin Marietta
Nancy Spelsberg: President, BCP Transportation