Civil & Environmental Engineering Research
Civil and environmental engineers are changing the world. Aging infrastructure. Climate change. Clean water and air. Natural hazards. Energy. These are just a few of the grand challenges facing civil and environmental engineers, and research at UW-Madison is leading the way toward sustainable solutions. Our vision is to be recognized as a global academic leader in theme areas of mobility, water and building, with integrated cross-cutting areas of energy, infrastructure and the environment. Our mission is to create, integrate and transfer civil, environmental, and geological engineering knowledge and practice in the development of professionals, leaders and citizens who define and serve societal and environmental needs by applying this knowledge and practice in an effective, safe and sustainable manner.
Within our department, we focus on eight research areas that are cross-disciplinary and involve collaborations that include faculty members and graduate students from across the department, as well as other departments within and outside of the College of Engineering.
CEE research centers and consortia
- Civil and Environmental Engineering Capstone Partnership
- Construction and Materials Support Center
- Modified Asphalt Research Center
- Recycled Materials Resource Center
- Water Science and Engineering Laboratory
- Wisconsin Structures and Materials Testing Laboratory
- Wisconsin Traffic Operations and Safety Laboratory
Research Centers and Consortia Affiliated with CEE
- UW Energy Institute
- Wisconsin Consortium for Applied Water Quality Research
Learn how you can join our department: