Master of Science or PhD in Civil and Environmental Engineering
The department offers graduate programs leading to the Master of Science (MS) and Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) degrees in civil and environmental engineering. The MS program emphasizes the enhancement of professional knowledge and skills, including research techniques. The PhD is a research degree emphasizing more extensive and original approaches to problem solving. Students typically earn an MS first, but may work directly toward the PhD if admitted directly to the PhD program.
Minimum degree requirements can be found in Graduate School Catalog.
- MS Course Approval Form
- MS Course Approval Form- Accelerated Programs
- MS Option C Approval Form
- MS Warrant Request Form
- Minds@UW Electronic Thesis Submission Form
- PhD Qualifying Exam Approval Form
- PhD Course and Minor Approval Form
- Preliminary Exam Warrant Request Form
- Preliminary Exam Checklist
- PhD Warrant Request Form (Final Oral PhD)
Accelerated Masters Programs:
The department also offers six accelerated masters programs which can be completed in one year. These are 1-year, course-focused masters programs that are intended to be completed in 12 months starting only in the fall semester. Students in these programs will not be eligible for TA, RA, and PA positions or a thesis. This is a coursework ONLY degree. For information on these programs, click here.