The Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering offers many options for graduate programs leading to Master of Science (MS) degrees in Civil and Environmental Engineering, Geological Engineering, and Environmental Chemistry and Technology as well as a Master of Engineering degree in Environmental Engineering. Our master’s program emphasizes the enhancement of professional knowledge and skills, including research techniques.
Several different in-residence programs as well as an Online Master of Engineering in Environmental Engineering are available. All of these options are outlined below.
* GRE scores are not required for students applying to Civil and Environmental Engineering graduate programs (MS or PhD) for spring, summer, or fall 2022 admission due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
In Residence Programs
Our in residence programs are completed by students on campus at UW-Madison. We have several degree options that offer both thesis and no-thesis options. The following programs are typically two-year programs:
- Master of Science in Civil and Environmental Engineering – Thesis and independent study options
- Master of Science in Geological Engineering – Thesis and independent study options
- Master of Science in Environmental Chemistry and Technology – Thesis and report options
We also offer a professional master’s degree program that is based on coursework only and can be completed in 12 months, if starting in the fall semester. Students in these programs are not be eligible for TA, RA, and PA positions or a thesis. This program provides you with the flexibility to choose one of six distinct curriculum paths depending on your interests:
- Construction Engineering and Management
- Environmental Science and Engineering
- Geological/Geotechnical Engineering
- Structural Engineering
- Transportation Engineering
- Water Resources Engineering
Our department is also affiliated with the interdisciplinary Freshwater and Marine Sciences Masters Program.
Online Master of Engineering
The online Master of Engineering in Environmental Engineering is designed for today’s practicing environmental engineers and can be earned completely online while working full-time. Click here for more information about the Online Master of Engineering in Environmental Engineering program.