Master of Engineering in Civil and Environmental Engineering
Environmental engineering is expected to grow 15 percent in the next decade, faster than the average for all occupations. The UW-Madison online Master of Engineering named option in Environmental Engineering provides answers, while building the leadership, communication, and project management skills that employers demand.
Is this program right for you?
The UW-Madison online Master of Engineering named option in Environmental Engineering is the newest addition to the our top-ranking online graduate engineering program. Our curriculum was designed based on extensive surveys of engineers and employers, as well as on “body of knowledge” guidelines developed by the American Academy of Environmental Engineers and Scientists.
As a leader in engineering and environmental sciences, our degree program is ideal for recent engineering graduates and mid-career engineers who want to take on more advanced roles and responsibilities. UW-Madison’s online engineering programs are consistently ranked in the 10 top by U.S. News & World Report.
You will obtain a broad and deep understanding of environmental challenges and environmental engineering solutions for our most pressing problems, and develop the skills to lead teams and build relationships with stakeholders.
Our delivery method sets us apart from other degree programs. Though the classes are online, the courses are very interactive. Our weekly live web sessions are scheduled to meet the needs of working professionals and help to build a collaborative learning environment between students and instructors. You will work closely with world-class faculty based at a highly-respected institution, recognized by top employers around the world. You will also have weekly interactions with a cohort of other professional engineers to share knowledge, expertise, and networks.
What You Learn
- Apply concepts of key environmental engineering design principles
- Use advanced engineering tools, risk assessments, conceptual analysis, and systems and creative design to assess problems and provide solutions
- Work effectively across technical and organizational boundaries
- Synthesize technical knowledge and demonstrate competencies in leadership, communication, and project management
Where & How You Learn
- Online; includes a series of required courses, approved electives, and a capstone design project
- Use the internet, live web conferencing, and software applications to participate
- Interact regularly with other professional engineers and our renowned faculty
- Complete a fixed curriculum on a semester schedule, but choose when to do most of your work each week—so that your career, family life, and travel schedule are not interrupted
- Hydraulics and Applied Fluid Mechanics for Environmental Engineers
- Chemical Principles of Environmental Engineering
- Energy Principles of Environmental Engineering
- Biological Principles of Environmental Engineering
- Biological Treatment Processes
- Physical-Chemical Treatment Processes
- Environmental Engineering and Science Seminar
- Master’s Level Capstone Design Project
- Environmental Engineering
- Hydraulic Design of Urban Stormwater Systems
- Water Treatment Plant Design
- Wastewater Treatment Plant Design
- Solid and Hazardous Waste Engineering
- Hazardous Waste Management
- Mentored Independent Study
- Sustainable Microgrids
At a Glance
|Credits||30 graduate credits|
|Time Frame||3 years|
|Degree Conferred||Master of Engineering in Civil and Environmental Engineering, Environmental Engineering|
|Offered By||The UW-Madison College of Engineering, Department of Civil & Environmental Engineering Option|
|Spring Deadline||November 15|
|Summer Deadline||March 15|
|Fall Deadline||July 15|
How to apply
Applicants must meet requirements of the Graduate School and department. Click here to learn more about admission and application requirements.
All applicants are advised to determine whether this program meets requirements for licensure in the state where they live. See the National Society of Professional Engineers website for contact information for state licensing boards.
For questions related to the CEE admissions process, please contact email@example.com.
For program or curriculum questions, contact Program Director, Jane Carlson.
Highly Ranked Program
The Online Master of Engineering in Environmental Engineering was recently ranked highly by The Best Masters Degrees.