William H. Miller
Miller Centrifugal Casting Co.
Just four years after he earned his BS in metallurgical engineering from UW-Madison, William H. Miller started his company in a 3,200-square-foot building he leased for $1 per day.
Today Miller, now retired, is chairman of Miller Centrifugal Casting Co., which employs more than 50 people in a complex of buildings totaling 50,000 square feet. And though it started small, the company today ships its goods throughout North America.
Located near Pittsburgh, the company designs, casts and finishes high-grade centrifugally cast sleeves, and large-diameter bimetal sleeves for horizontal, vertical and straightener rolls and sleeves for mills in the U.S. and Canada.
Miller Centrifugal Casting Co. is at the forefront of bimetal centrifugal casting. In 1974 Miller patented a process for centrifugally casting gear blanks; in the past 10 years, the company also developed a process for casting steel mill rolls. With electric induction melting and casting machines more than 100 feet in diameter, the company can cast ferrous and nonferrous alloys up to 120 inches in diameter.
Miller established a Pittsburgh-area UW-Madison scholarship program and supports the Badger football team. As a former Badger football player himself, Miller has enjoyed the Badgers’ recent success–especially since he missed playing on the 1953 Rose Bowl team to pursue his engineering career.
Miller is also a member of the American Foundrymen’s Society and the Institute of Roll Design. He and his wife, Anne, have been married for 49 years.