Engineering students at UW-Madison can participate in more than 50 engineering-affiliated student organizations, most of which host outreach activities. A few student organizations are especially dedicated to community service.
Known as the Wisconsin Idea, the concept that education should influence lives beyond the boundaries of the classroom has deeply influenced the culture of UW-Madison for more than a century and is particularly evident in the College of Engineering. Faculty, staff and students uphold the Wisconsin Idea every day through research and activities that benefit people across the state, nation and world.
Wisconsin Idea Stories
- New imaging agent provides better picture of the gut
- Wisconsin plastics industry has roots in modest, multitalented UW-Madison professor
- Research Innovation Committee funds five research projects
- Best-ever efficiency points to clean, green gas-diesel engine
- Aviation offers a way forward in biofuels research
- Focus on new faculty: Michael Murrell, using photographs to understand mechanical forces in cells
- Water behavior breakthrough opens a crucial door in chemistry
- Strategic approach to materials research aims to benefit U.S. manufacturers
A partnership between Civil and Environmental Professor Michael Oliva and the Wisconsin Department of Transportation to advance innovative bridge construction techniques is one of many examples of research benefiting people beyond campus.
The College of Engineering maintains active knowledge- and technology-transfer partnerships with government and industry. These collaborations spark innovative research ideas and offer faculty, staff and students valuable opportunities to solve complex, multidisciplinary challenges.
View Industry Consortia for a list of the college's research consortia.
The College of Engineering offers a wide variety of outreach opportunities for students from kindergarten to graduate school. A few of these opportunities include Science Olympiad, Young Scientists of America and Engineering Expo. View more.
Visit Science on Campus for UW-Madison campus-wide science outreach programs.