Engineering students at UW-Madison can participate in more than 50 engineering-affiliated student organizations, most of which host outreach activities. A few student organizations are especially dedicated to community service.
Known as the Wisconsin Idea, the concept that education should influence lives beyond the boundaries of the classroom has deeply influenced the culture of UW-Madison for more than a century and is particularly evident in the College of Engineering. Faculty, staff and students uphold the Wisconsin Idea every day through research and activities that benefit people across the state, nation and world.
Wisconsin Idea Stories
- Partnership aims to improve quality, consistency in Wisconsin assisted living communities
- Ethiopians look to Madison to reclaim bicycle friendly culture
- ExxonMobil, UW-Madison partner on biomass-to-transportation fuel research
- Harrington offers primer on energy usage and drinking water
- Mackie honored as his latest startup shifts toward high gear
- Focus on new faculty: Victor Zavala, optimizing algorithms for the interconnected modern world
- CBE Professor invited to participate in NAE symposium
- Wisconsin concrete innovation makes Seattle skyscraper stable
A partnership between Civil and Environmental Professor Michael Oliva and the Wisconsin Department of Transportation to advance innovative bridge construction techniques is one of many examples of research benefiting people beyond campus.
The College of Engineering maintains active knowledge- and technology-transfer partnerships with government and industry. These collaborations spark innovative research ideas and offer faculty, staff and students valuable opportunities to solve complex, multidisciplinary challenges.
View Industry Consortia for a list of the college's research consortia.
The College of Engineering offers a wide variety of outreach opportunities for students from kindergarten to graduate school. A few of these opportunities include Science Olympiad, Young Scientists of America and Engineering Expo. View more.
Visit Science on Campus for UW-Madison campus-wide science outreach programs.