Engineering students at UW-Madison can participate in more than 50 engineering-affiliated student organizations, most of which host outreach activities. A few student organizations are especially dedicated to community service.
Known as the Wisconsin Idea, the concept that education should influence lives beyond the boundaries of the classroom has deeply influenced the culture of UW-Madison for more than a century and is particularly evident in the College of Engineering. Faculty, staff and students uphold the Wisconsin Idea every day through research and activities that benefit people across the state, nation and world.
Wisconsin Idea Stories
- Xinyu Zhang receives NSF CAREER Award to improve wireless network performance
- Loheide to pursue hydrology research in Argentina with Fulbright award
- Driving the electric truck, Orchid Monroe, and UW-Madison's win-win
- Wisconsin engineer earns presidential award
- Pieper Foundation awards support outreach for future female engineers
- UW-Madison engineering programs ranked highly in U.S. News and World Report
- Focus on new faculty: Soyoung (Sue) Ahn, filling the gaps in traffic research
- Schauer to speak at EPA forum
A partnership between Civil and Environmental Professor Michael Oliva and the Wisconsin Department of Transportation to advance innovative bridge construction techniques is one of many examples of research benefiting people beyond campus.
The College of Engineering maintains active knowledge- and technology-transfer partnerships with government and industry. These collaborations spark innovative research ideas and offer faculty, staff and students valuable opportunities to solve complex, multidisciplinary challenges.
View Industry Consortia for a list of the college's research consortia.
The College of Engineering offers a wide variety of outreach opportunities for students from kindergarten to graduate school. A few of these opportunities include Science Olympiad, Young Scientists of America and Engineering Expo. View more.
Visit Science on Campus for UW-Madison campus-wide science outreach programs.