Committee on Academic Staff Issues  
Home :
COE Committee on Academic Staff Issues: Meeting Highlights, November 19, 2001

CoE CASI (Committee on Academic Staff Issues) Meeting Highlights 11/19/2001

Present:
S. Anderson, J. Czyscon, B. Dye, P. Farrell, L. Grossenbacher, J. Hendricks, M. Landretti, P. Peercy, B. Peterson, J. Schowalter.
Absent: F. McTavish

Announcements:

P. Peercy noted the $1.1 million cut to the U.W. portion of the State budget. Given the anticipated size of the State revenue deficit (up to $1 billion or more), we expect larger budget cuts during the second year of the biennium.

Professorial Titles Subcommittee - 11/8 Forum Report and Discussion:

At the Forum, presenters Linda Newman (current ASEC chair) and Wilt Sanders (last year's ASEC chair) briefly reviewed the history and current status of the academic staff research and instructional professorial titles. The provost has stated that decisions on criteria and use of these titles are up to the executive committees of the academic units. However, the Faculty Senate is considering a resolution that would prohibit the use of the word "professor" in a title without its approval (except the working titles of associate research professor and research professor, which it approved earlier). The campus legal office noted that the authority for granting professorial titles is vested in the Senate and the Chancellor. The School of Business is already using these titles, and Faculty the School of Education and the Medical School are working on developing criteria for their use.

Fifteen academic staff members attended the forum, with the majority favoring use of the working titles. The sense of the subcommittee and other CASI members attending the forum is that general criteria for the titles should be developed for the college, which could be used by departments either alone or in combination with departmental criteria. It was felt that consensus among the academic staff was required before proceeding. The subcommittee will contact the schools mentioned above for further information about their processes and criteria, and will schedule a working meeting, inviting the forum attendees and others, to draft criteria.

New Employee Orientation Subcommittee Report and Discussion:

The subcommittee has recruited additional academic staff and plans to hold its first meeting soon. They will continue to gather information on existing or developing orientation programs and materials, such as the College orientation for new assistant professors, the Law School manual for new academic staff, the mentoring program being developed by the library (GLS), and the Campus New Employee Orientation.

Communications Subcommittee Report and Discussion:

The CASI website has been updated with the annual report, meeting highlights, and notes and charts from the town meeting. An email announcing the website was sent to all faculty and academic staff. The election for an academic staff APC member is underway.

CASI members expressed an interest in sponsoring more issue-based brown bag luncheons. J. Czyscon received an unsolicited message expressing appreciation for the increased communication.

P. Peercy asked CASI members to advise him as to whether another town meeting with the dean should be held.

CASIs-ASEC 10/25 Meeting Report and Discussion (J. Czyscon):

The goal of ASEC is to make shared governance work at the department level. L&S is surveying their departments to obtain their guidelines for academic staff participation in governance. ASEC is still working on a response to the Campus Strategic Plan. Primary issues of the CASIs include governance/voting rights, merit review, professional development, and new employee orientation.

Only six people attended the Campus Town Meeting held at the Nursing School on October 30.

All academic staff members are welcome to attend the Brown Bag Meetings at Union South held on each Friday that precedes an Assembly meeting. Assembly meetings are generally on the 2nd Monday of each month, at 3:30-5 in Room 272 Bascom Hall. Each meeting is preceded by an informal opportunity to meet and talk with ASEC members and Assembly Reps at 3:00.

General comments:

CASI members requested a list of academic staff by department and/or departmental affiliation (e.g., Engineering Physics plus Fusion Technology Institute). B. Dye and/or J. Hendricks will work with Betty Gordon to develop this.

CASI members expressed interest in learning the extent academic staff members in the CoE are invited to department meetings and if they have voting rights.

CASI members discussed adding photos of academic staff on the CoE Website; currently, faculty, but not academic staff, photos are on the CoE website.

Academic staff members are not featured in the CoE Annual Report. (P. Peercy will follow up.)

CASI members agreed not to meet in December, in view of holiday schedules.

NEXT CoE CASI MEETING: MONDAY, JANUARY 7, 2:30-4:00 p.m., 3609 ENGINEERING HALL


Copyright 2006 The Board of Regents of the University of Wisconsin System
Date last modified: 27-Dec-2001
Date created: 12-Dec-2001
Content by: CASI
Thank you for visiting http://www.engr.wisc.edu/staff/casi/mh111901.html