Committee on Academic Staff Issues  
Home :
COE Committee on Academic Staff Issues: Meeting Highlights, April 15, 2002

CoE CASI (Committee on Academic Staff Issues) Meeting Highlights 4/15/2002

Present: S. Anderson, J. Czyscon, B. Dye, P. Farrell, L. Grossenbacher, J. Hendricks, F. McTavish, M. Landretti, P. Peercy, B. Peterson, J. Schowalter

Announcements:
P. Peercy gave a brief update on the budget situation. Our best guess is that the final cuts will fall between what was in the Governor's budget and the Assembly recommendations. He has met with the Provost and is continuing to encourage that, if further cuts are required, they be implemented strategically rather than across the board, with student enrollment being one consideration. The funding shortfall is not a one-time problem. Over the long term, allternative core funding sources, independent of the state budget, need to be developed (e.g., sustaining endowments).

Professorial Titles Subcommittee:
The subcommittee is preparing to make a presentation at the May APC meeting, proposing moving ahead with the research titles (since the Faculty Senate has approved their use) and consideration of the instructional titles. The research titles would produce a direct benefit in grant proposal competitiveness, but the benefits of the instructional titles are less obvious. The School of Business put nine teaching professor titles in place in the time period between the University Committee's proposal and the Faculty Senate decision. They have received an e-mail message from the Provost indicating he will support positions that were established prior to the Senate decision. Their CASI wants to expand the use of the titles and will pursue this issue further with their new dean. L. Grossenbacher has seen the CVs of the current titleholders and notes that they teach business writing and perform consulting, which is what some instructional academic staff in her department (EPD) also do. The School of Business used the University Committee criteria and obtained approval of the School of Business APC. In the College of Engineering, based on current title, there are approximately 52 academic staff potentially affected by the instructional title and 150 by the research title, out of 392 total academic staff. The subcommittee is continuing development of their white paper. They were advised to obtain consensus from the Academic Staff in the College of Engineering prior to going to the APC meeting with concrete suggestions.

New Employee Orientation Subcommittee Report and Discussion:
The subcommittee is continuing to implement Website enhancements and developing a welcoming orientation session, hosted by the Dean and including a brief introduction to selected staff from the Dean's Office. They will expand on the Website information for new assistant professors developed by the CoE EDC, adding some academic staff items. It was suggested that they invite to the orientation session all new academic staff from the current and previous year (similar to what the CoE EDC did with assistant professors).

Communications Subcommittee Report and Discussion:
There are two candidates for the instructional position and three for the research position in the CASI election. All CoE academic staff received an announcement from the dean and an e-mail ballot, for either e-mail reply or printout. There will also be an e-mail reminder shortly before the deadline. J. Czyscon represented the CoE CASI and gave a presentation and handout at the April Academic Staff Assembly meeting.

IRAS Questionnaire Discussion:
Regarding the involvement of academic staff in departmental governance (one of the items on the questionnaire), the deans have discussed this with the chairs at their individual meetings and at the off-site retreat. J. Czyscon will provide the dean with a copy of a policy developed by the L&S CASI and which their dean distributed to their chairs. The CoE dean and associate deans will continue to work with the chairs on this issue.

Open Issues and Other Business:
J. Czyscon had sent an e-mail addressing several items, including a reminder of the four major issues of concern originally identified through the CASI and the two Town Meetings performance reviews, professional development, academic staff participation in governance, and job security. Attachments to the e-mail provided information on how other CASIs are addressing some of these issues. The dean is happy to work on any of these issues that the CASI decides is important. J. Czyscon will draft a white paper on job security and continue to follow up with the dean on governance participation. The CoE developed a grid showing types of appointment and notice period, which J. Hendricks will distribute to the CASI members.

Another item mentioned in the e-mail was the discussion about academic staff featured in the CoE annual report. Since it was acknowledged that the purpose of the annual report is for public relations rather than a directory, there was no push to pursue this. One other item from the e-mail was the discussion about whether the CASI would find it useful to receive reports from other committees that include CoE academic staff (e.g., CoE EDC, ASEC). Larry Casper (ASEC member) will be invited to attend the next CASI meeting and report briefly on ASEC activities.

Another issue raised in the e-mail was a CASI self-assessment. This will be an item on the May agenda. Meanwhile CASI members will review the CoE CASI bylaws and the Assembly document to see if this issue is addressed in either or both.

NEXT CoE CASI MEETING: MONDAY, MAY 20, 2:30-4:00 p.m., 3609 ENGINEERING HALL


Copyright 2006 The Board of Regents of the University of Wisconsin System
Date last modified: 08-May-2002
Date created: 08 May 2002
Content by: CASI
Thank you for visiting http://www.engr.wisc.edu/staff/casi/mh041502.html