University of Wisconsin Madison College of Engineering
You are here:
  1. MSEP Home > 
  2. Students > 
  3. Tuition



The tuition for graduate studies at the University of Wisconsin changes every year and depends on whether you are an in-state or out-of-state student.The table below gives a rough estimate of expenses for an academic year (fall and spring semesters) for the average single, full-time, graduate student living off campus.


MSE – Estimated Student Expenses
Tuition $10,022 $24,944
Room/Board (12 months)
$10,972 $10,972
Books/Supplies $990 $990
Miscellaneous $4,523 $4,523
TOTAL $26,507 $41,429


MSE is a three- to four-semester program.
Plan to anticipate expenses for at least that length of time.



Please notice that the actual tuition amount depends on many factors, including the number of credits taken per semester, individual living expenses, and changes in tuition rates. For more detailed information, check the web site of the Office of the Registrar, the estimated living expenses as published by the Graduate School or contact us.


Financial aid


The MSE program provides a limited amount of financial aid to some students on a highly competitive basis in the form of fellowships. If you are interested in a fellowship, please submit your résumé along with your application and note that you are seeking financial support.


Most assistantships can be found by contacting faculty members directly and inquiring about opportunities to assist with research or projects. These positions are awarded solely by individual professors according to the needs of their research project. For a listing of MSE affiliated faculty, their interests and contact information, click here.


The MSE program also nominates qualified individuals for the Graduate Engineering Research Scholars (GERS) Program, a unique fellowship program offering students a strong financial package and many other benefits.


For information about funds that are not administered through the MSE program, please check the Graduate School or the Office of Student Financial Aid. You might also be able to finance part of your studies through a job on campus (see UW Student Jobcenter).