February 4, 2011
For students in other departments seeking a minor in Materials Science and Engineering, the following requirements apply:
1) A minimum of 9 credits of materials science and engineering coursework.
2) A minimum of three courses such that:
a. All courses are selected from MS&E 351, MS&E 330 and any other MS&E course of level 400 or above;
b. A maximum of one course is selected from MS&E 351 and MS&E 330
c. A maximum of three credits of independent study;
d. A maximum of one course for which transfer credit was awarded.
3) Courses that may not be used include:
a. Courses taken while enrolled as an undergraduate student at any university, regardless of level;
b. Research and Thesis credits;
c. Courses taken on a grading scale other than A-F or equivalent. Courses taken pass/fail or credit/no credit, for which a contribution to the GPA cannot be determined, may not be applied.
4) A GPA of 3.0 must be earned in the courses used to satisfy the minor.
5) Students pursuing the MS&E minor are encouraged, but not required, to take one semester of MS&E 900: Materials Research Seminar.
6) The minor program must be approved by the department chair or a minor chair appointed by the department chair. Students are advised to obtain approval before enrolling in their minor program coursework.