PhD Plan of Study
Each student who wants to be a PhD candidate in the Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering must satisfy the department's qualifying examination requirement within their seventh semester of graduate study. Extensions can be granted in special cases, but you must discuss with your advisor and the extension must be approved by the Chair of Academic Affairs.
To satisfy this requirement, a student must pass the qualifying exam within their focus area, as well as complete the Breadth Requirement. The details of the Qualifying Exam requirements can be found in the following document:
The registration deadline for the Fall 2014 ISyE Qualifying Exams for all areas is 4:00pm, Friday, September 5, 2014. Please complete the Qualifying Exam Registration Form and return it to the ISyE Graduate Student Services office, Rm. 3186 Mechanical Engineering Building. Location and further details for the exams will be given after registration.
- The Fall 2014 Qualifying Exam for Decision Science / Operations Research will be given on Monday, September 15, 2014, 3-7 p.m.
- The Fall 2014 Qualifying Exam for both Health Systems and Manufacturing Production Systems will be given on Friday, September 26, 2014, 1-5 p.m.
- The Fall 2014 Qualifying Exam for Human Factors and Ergonomics will be given late September or early October, 2014.
Please contact the area conveners below or your ISyE faculty advisor for further information.
Qualifying Exams are offered in the following focus areas and are written and graded by the area group:
- Decision Science and Operation Research Area Convener, Professor James R. Luedtke
Effective for Fall 2012: Decision Science/Operations Research Qualifying Exam Policy optional for Fall 2012
- Health Systems Area Convener, Professor Oguzhan Alagoz
Effective for Fall 2009: Health Systems Qualifying Exam Policy
- Human Factors and Ergonomics Area Convener, Professor John Lee
Effective for Spring 2013: Human Factors Exam Policy
Effective for Spring 2010: Human Factors Exam Policy
Examples of Reading Lists:
- Topic: Transitions of Care and Patient Safety
- Topic: Implementation and Dissemination of Interventions in Healthcare System
- Topic: Virtual Teams in Healthcare from Human Factors Engineering Perspective
- Topic: Relational Agents to Support Communication Rehabilitation for Return-to-Work among TBI Survivors
- Topic: Aeronautical Decision-Making during Simulated Visual Flight into Instrument Meteorological Conditions
- Manufacturing and Production Systems Area Convener, Professor Jingshan Li
Effective Fall 2012: MPS Qualifying Exam Policy
Optimization qualifying exams are offered by the Department of Computer Sciences. Please contact Angela Thorp.
Past example exams: