Master's degree options
The ISYE MS graduate program offers both a 24- and 30-credit option. Only UW-Madison ISYE undergraduate students are eligible for the 24-credit option. Any student who did not receive their undergraduate degree from the UW-Madison ISYE department must pursue the 30-credit MS option in a selected focus area.
24-credit MS Professional Option requirements
- At least 15 credits of ISYE courses, 500 level or above, in the student.s area of specialization.*
- Included in the 15 credits within ISYE, at least one course containing a significant project experience related to the student's area of specialization. Any course(s) taken as an undergraduate cannot be taken again. Examples include: ISYE 476, 515, 565, 641, 653, 671, 672, or 3cr of 699 related to the student's area of specialization.
- No more than six credits of independent study.
- At least nine credits of electives that relate to the student's area of specialization (examples include: statistics, business, computer science, other engineering courses).
- An attached paragraph explaining how the student's chosen courses relate to their area of specialization and form an in-depth understanding of that topic.
* IE courses between 300-500 level may be used to fulfill this requirement only if approved by the Advisor and the Academic Affairs Committee Chair. Any course below the 300 level will not count towards a graduate degree.
30-credit MS Option requirements
The 30cr MS Option Requirements vary according to Focus Area:
- Decision Science and Operations Research, prior to Fall 2012 Planning Grid
- Decision Science and Operations Research, Fall 2012 and after Planning Grid
- Health Systems Planning Grid
- Human Factors & Ergonomics, prior to Fall 2010 Planning Grid
- Human Factors & Ergonomics, Fall 2010 and after Planning Grid
- Manufacturing and Production Systems, prior to Fall 2012 Planning Grid
- Manufacturing and Production Systems, Fall 2012 and after. Planning Grid
- Quality Engineering Planning Grid