1982 Award Recipients

Engineers' Day Information:
Diane Randall
608/265-4048
drandall@engr.wisc.edu

ALI A. SEIREG
Professor, Mechanical Engineering
The 1982 Benjamin Smith Reynolds Award

HENRY H. BARCHALL
John Bascom Professor Nuclear Engineering and Physics
The 1982 Byron Bird Award

ORVILLE E. ARNOLD
Distinguished Service Award Recipient

EDWARD J. DOYLE
Distinguished Service Award Recipient

BERNARD W. GAMSON
Distinguished Service Award Recipient

ALFRED C. INGERSOLL
Distinguished Service Award Recipient

GEORGE H. KERCKHOVE
Distinguished Service Award Recipient

WILLIAM R. KIMEL
Distinguished Service Award Recipient

ROBERT W. SCHUMANN
Distinguished Service Award Recipient

JOHN D. WEST
Distinguished Service Award Recipient

ALI A. SEIREG

ALI A. SEIREG (Large image)

ALI A. SEIREG

Ali Seireg received the BS ME degree from Cairo University, Egypt, in 1948 and the PhD degree from the University of Wisconsin in 1954. He joined the College of Engineering faculty in 1965 after serving on the faculty of Cairo University and Marquette University. His colleagues and students describe him as "a man who loves to teach." Since joining the College faculty, he has supervised 52 masters and 23 doctoral degree recipients in addition to carrying a heavy class load each semester through his own choice, which is eloquent testimony to this characterization. Indeed, his love of teaching the undergraduate is the primary reason he is in a university rather than a research laboratory.

Professor Seireg leads his students into creative and exciting engineering ventures through his presentations, and the individual project courses he has developed. While his students' design projects have covered a wide variety of devices, he has provided special encouragement to those interested in designing assistive devices for the handicapped. The numerous local, national and international awards won by his students attest to the effectiveness of his leadership and teaching. He is described by his peers as a "model teacher," "the most competent and original engineering educator in the field of design at this time."

The author of almost 150 reviewed papers and several textbooks, Professor Seireg has also presented more than 70 invited lectures around the world and has been granted five patents. He is a Fellow of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers, which has honored him with the Pi Tau Sigma Richards Memorial Award in 1973, The Machine Design Award in 1978 and five Centennial Awards in 1980. He also received the George Westinghouse Award of the American Society for Engineering Education in 1970.

HENRY H. BARCHALL

HENRY H. BARCHALL (Large image)

HENRY H. BARCHALL

The research publication selected for the 1982 Byron Bird Award is a series of journal articles written by Professor Henry Barschall. This series of six research reports was published in the journal Physical Review between 1949 and 1954 and reported his research work on neutron behavior and theory. His work in determining the interactions between nucleons and nuclei provided the foundation for and led to the adoption of a new model, the nuclear optical model, which is used continually today by experimental nuclear physicists. His work is cited in every textbook on nuclear physics and forms one of the cornerstones of modern nuclear physics. The fundamental nature of Professor Barschall's research findings have made them the object of innumerable investigations by other researchers, according to his colleagues. This was further emphasized at a 1982 International Conference where his work headed the list of the five most important resonance-type discoveries made in nuclear physics which have contributed to the understanding of the atomic nucleus.

To illustrate the results of his research, Professor Barschall developed a new kind of three-dimensional graph for his publication drawings. Today, these kinds of graphs are often referred to as "Barschall plots."

Professor Barschall received the MA and PhD degrees in Physics from Princeton University in 1939 and 1940 respectively. He joined the University of Wisconsin-Madison faculty in 1946 and was appointed John Bascom Professor of Physics and Nuclear Engineering in 1973. He is the author or co-author of more than 70 publications.

ORVILLE E. ARNOLD

ORVILLE E. ARNOLD (Large image)

ORVILLE E. ARNOLD

President, Arnold and O'Sheridan Consulting Engineers, Madison, Wisconsin.

For his significant contributions to the structural design of major buildings in Wisconsin and the development of the state's building code.

Born, Sparta, Wisconsin, September 30, 1933.

BS CE 1955, University of Wisconsin.

Mr. Arnold began his professional career with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers and in 1957 joined the Inland Steel Company. A year later he accepted a position as Associate in charge of structural engineering with John J. Flad and Associates, Architects and Engineers in Madison, Wisconsin. In 1964 he founded Arnold and O'Sheridan Consulting Engineers, and became President, his present position.

Mr. Arnold's firm performed the structural engineering work and some of the other engineering work on such major Madison buildings as the CUNA Mutual Office, the Capitol Centre Downtown Development and the Vilas Communication building. His firm has also made important engineering design contributions to major buildings in five other states and in Saudi Arabia. For the aesthetic design of the Tenney Park pedestrian bridge he received the Special Purpose Bridge Prize award from the American Institute of Steel Construction in 1972. He also received the Engineer of the Year in Private Practice Award from the Wisconsin Society of Professional Engineers in 1975.

He has served as Chairman of the Structural Code Committee for the state of Wisconsin since 1971 and supervised the complete revision of the State Building Code in this area. In addition, he was a member of the State Examining Board of Architects, Engineers, Surveyors and Designers for three years.

Mr. Arnold is a Fellow of the American Society of Civil Engineers and is active in several other professional societies. He is active also in a wide variety of community support activities.

EDWARD J. DOYLE

EDWARD J. DOYLE (Large image)

EDWARD J. DOYLE

General Manager - Support Services, New Jersey Bell Telephone Company, East Orange, New Jersey.

For his major contributions to improved telephone communication systems and development of a communications system to keep the President of the United States constantly informed.

Born Madison, Wisconsin, 1924.

BS EE 1947, University of Wisconsin.

In 1947, Mr. Doyle began his professional career as a transmission engineer with the Illinois Bell Telephone Company. He has served the American Telephone and Telegraph Company and its subsidiaries continuously since that time, more than 35 years. In 1952 he moved to the headquarters in New York City where he planned the conversion of teletype service from a manual operator to a dial service. Later he developed and introduced into service a transistorized repeater and in addition was responsible for planning a modernized carrier system. As AT&T Executive Communications Administrator in Washington, D.C., in 1963, he was responsible for coordinating telephone communications for the President of the United States and his staff wherever they might be. He originated development of portable telephone switchboard and teletype equipment which are used to handle Presidential communication on trips all over the world. In 1966, he moved to the New Jersey Bell Telephone Company as Chief Engineer where he was responsible for a staff of 300 engineers, a $100 million construction budget and all engineering activities in the northern half of the state. Later he planned and organized one of the first Network Departments on the Bell System, which achieved the top service results in the system in 1973. He was appointed to his present position as General Manager - Support Services in 1981.

An active member of the Institute for Electrical and Electronic Engineers, he has served on the board of directors and is currently a member of the organization's Executive Committee.

He actively participates in numerous civic organizations and in addition is a professional musician in a heavily booked, 18 piece swing band.

BERNARD W. GAMSON

BERNARD W. GAMSON (Large image)

BERNARD W. GAMSON

President and Chief Executive Officer, Martin Marietta Aluminum Incorporated, Bethesda, Maryland.

For his significant contributions to improved methods of producing aluminum, sulphur and steel and to the design of fluidized bed reactors.

Born Chicago, Illinois, August 18, 1917.

BS ChE 1938, Armour Institute of Technology; MS ChE 1939, University of Michigan; PhD ChE 1943, University of Wisconsin.

Dr. Gamson began his professional career with Mobil Oil Company in 1939 as a development engineer. After serving with the War Production Board, he joined the Great Lakes Carbon Company in 1943 as Chief Process Engineer. Following a year with General Electric Company, he joined Borg Warner Corporation in 1956 as Associate Director of the Research Center, and in 1960 he was appointed Vice President, Oilfield Products. From 1965 to 1970 he was in private practice as a consultant. Dr. Gamson joined Martin Marietta Aluminum Incorporated in 1970 as Executive Vice President and was promoted to his present position in 1980.

Included in a number of products and processes he has developed are: a process for producing sulphur from waste hydrogen sulfide gas, which produces four million tons of sulphur annually; a special carbon for electrodes used in the electric furnace steel industry to produce 30 million tons of steel annually: a thermal process for the production of chlorine; the use of nuclear magnetic resonance to explore oil fields; deep well electrical submersible pumps for production; and an energy-efficient process for smelting aluminum. He holds, or has pending, more than twenty patents.

Dr. Gamson is the author of more than 25 technical publications. He is a Fellow of the American Institute of Chemical Engineers as well as an active member of the American Chemical Society, and the Scientific Research Society of America. He is a member of the Board of Directors of the Aluminum Association and a Trustee and Vice-President of the Institute of Critical Care Medicine.

ALFRED C. INGERSOLL

ALFRED C. INGERSOLL (Large image)

ALFRED C. INGERSOLL

Manager, Human Resource Development, Bechtel Operating Services Corporation, San Francisco, California.

For his significant contributions to the advancement of the engineering profession and to the professional preparation of engineering students.

Born Madison, Wisconsin, June 1920.

BS CE 1942, MS CE 1948, and PhD CE 1950, University of Wisconsin.

Dr. Ingersoll joined the technical staff of Linde Air Products Company in 1942 to begin his professional career. He returned to Wisconsin to complete his doctoral degree and in 1950 joined the faculty at the California Institute of Technology. Ten years later he became Dean of the School of Engineering and Professor of Civil Engineering at the University of Southern California. In 1970, he was appointed Associate Dean of Engineering and Director of Continuing Education in Engineering and Mathematics, University Extension, University of California at Los Angeles. He joined the Bechtel Corporation in his present position in July, 1982.

Dr. Ingersoll has been a warm, concerned adviser and teacher of engineering students for more than 30 years. In addition, he has sought to elevate the standards, ethics and involvement in national policy of professional engineers. Further, he has worked tirelessly for the recognition of engineering as a profession of equal stature with medicine and law. He is the author of more than 100 books and papers in engineering and related fields. He is a Fellow in the American Society of Civil Engineers, which presented him the Edmund Friedman Professional Recognition Award in 1969. Active in many professional organizations, he has held positions such as Western Region Vice-President of the National Society of Professional Engineers and the American Society of Engineering Education as well as President of the California Engineering Foundation and of the Institute for the Advancement of Engineering. Among the other awards he has received are the Educator of The Year Award from the Society of Manufacturing Engineers in 1972, the Rodney Chipp Memorial Award from the Society of Women Engineers in 1971 and Outstanding Merit Award of the Institute for the Advancement of Engineering in 1977.

GEORGE H. KERCKHOVE

GEORGE H. KERCKHOVE (Large image)

GEORGE H. KERCKHOVE

Executive Vice President and General Manager, Commercial Air Conditioning Division, The Trane Company, La Crosse, Wisconsin

For his important contributions to the development of new applications for heat exchangers and electrostatic precipitators.

Born Northwood, Iowa, July 28, 1937.

BS ME and BS AgE 1961, MS EE 1962, University of Wisconsin-Madison; MBA 1972, University of Wisconsin La Crosse.

Mr. Kerckhove began his professional career with The Trane Company in 1962 and has served that company continuously for more than 20 years. Initially he worked in a number of sales engineering positions where his unique marketing and technical abilities led to an increased share of the market for the company's unit heater products. In 1968 he was promoted to manager of filtration sales and then to manager of process heat exchanger sales. He became Sales Manager for the Process Division in 1972 and Vice-President and General Manager of the Division ten months later. Through his leadership, the application of brazed aluminum heat exchangers was extended to many cryogenic processes. These included plants producing large tonnages of oxygen for steel mills, nitrogen plants for the manufacture of liquid fertilizer and heat exchangers used in the uranium enrichment process for the nuclear reactor at Oak Ridge, Tennessee. Under his leadership, new markets, both foreign and domestic, were opened up which contributed directly to the rapid growth of The Trane Company. He was responsible for the development of Trane manufactured equipment using high efficiency electrostatic air filters, which received approval for use in nuclear power plants. In 1977 he was promoted to his present position where he supervises more than 5,000 employees and the sales of equipment exceeding $500,000,000 in value annually.

Mr. Kerckhove is Vice President of the Air Conditioning and Refrigeration Institute and an active member of other professional societies. He also participates in a number of community activities such as the La Crosse Community Theater and the La Crosse Home for Children for which he is a Past President.

WILLIAM R. KIMEL

WILLIAM R. KIMEL (Large image)

WILLIAM R. KIMEL

Dean, College of Engineering, University of Missouri—Columbia, Columbia, Missouri.

Born Cunningham, Kansas, May 2, 1922.

BS ME 1944, MS ME 1949, Kansas State University; PhD Engr. Mech., 1956, University of Wisconsin.

Dr. Kimel began his professional career as a Development Engineer with the Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company in 1944. Two years later, he joined the faculty of the College of Engineering at Kansas State University as an instructor. In 1958, he was promoted to Professor of Nuclear Engineering and appointed Head of the Department of Nuclear Engineering. During this period he developed the first undergraduate nuclear engineering program in the United States to receive professional accreditation: Ten years later he was chosen to become Dean of the College of Engineering at the University of Missouri—Columbia, which is his present position.

Dr. Kimel is the author of more than thirty publications, many of them in the field of nuclear engineering and isotope production. However, several are concerned with the quality and qualifications of engineering graduates. He participated in two Atoms for Peace Conferences in Geneva in 1964 and 1971. As President of the American Nuclear Society in 1978 and 1979 he represented the Society in official visits to the People's Republic of China, Japan, Germany, Yugoslavia and South Africa.

Active in numerous governmental advisory organizations and professional societies. Dr. Kimel has served as National President of the Junior Engineering Technical Society and on the Board of Directors of the Engineers Council for Professional Development. He is a Fellow in both the American Nuclear Society and the American Society of Engineers. He has also been honored with the 1972 Distinguished Service Award in Engineering from Kansas State University and the 1981 Bliss Medal from the Society of American Military Engineers.

ROBERT W. SCHUMANN

ROBERT W. SCHUMANN (Large image)

ROBERT W. SCHUMANN

Vice President and Director, Nicolet Instrument Corporation, Madison, Wisconsin.

For his pioneering designs of new classes of precision test equipment and contributions to the development of new industry in Wisconsin.

Born Madison, Wisconsin, September 30, 1920.

BS EE 1948, MS EE 1949, University of Wisconsin.

Following graduation in 1949, Mr. Schumann joined the staff at Argonne National Laboratory where he developed the first measurement instruments to employ digital computer techniques. Among these instruments was a 1024 channel neutron time of flight analyzer which had a tape interface with a general purpose computer and digital computers for gamma ray scintillation spectroscopy. These instruments produced better data and eliminated a great deal of tedious manual work.

In 1958, Mr. Schumann founded Nuclear Data, Inc., with an initial capitalization of $8,000. By 1964 the company's annual after tax profit exceeded $400,000. He designed the first all solid-state pulse height analyzer and Nuclear Data was the dominant manufacturer of this type of instrumentation. In 1965 he became a co-founder of Nicolet Instrument Corporation, which he has served as Vice President and Director, his present position since that time. Initially this corporation had a capitalization of $500,000 and twenty employees. In 1982 the company's sales were over $77,000,000 and the number of employees had increased to more than 1,200.

Among Mr. Schumann's technical achievements for the Nicolet Corporation was the conception and development of the first all digital oscilloscope. He also developed the first high speed precision analog-digital converter. This low cost, low power instrument is about ten times faster than previous converters. He holds at least ten patents.

Mr. Schumann has devoted considerable time to management activities of the corporation and founded a new division for the manufacture, continuation engineering, and marketing of digital oscilloscopes.

JOHN D. WEST

JOHN D. WEST (Large image)

JOHN D. WEST

Chief Executive Officer and Chairman of the Board, The Manitowoc Company, Inc., Manitowoc, Wisconsin.

For his contributions to metal fabricating techniques and the growth of manufacturing and metal casting industries in Wisconsin.

Born, Manitowoc, Wisconsin, May 24, 1906.

BS ME 1932, Cornell University.

Mr. West began his professional career in the Engineering Department of the Manitowoc Shipbuilding Company in 1932. He has served that firm and its successor, The Manitowoc Company, Inc., continuously for more than 50 years. He became President in 1957, succeeding his father, and then became Chairman of the Board and Chief Executive Officer, his present position, in 1981. This corporation is the parent company of six major subsidiaries that design and manufacture some of the largest Great Lakes freighters and the world's largest cranes.

During World War II, Mr. West was a major factor in the company's production of landing craft and submarines far ahead of contract schedules and at about 65 percent of the contracted cost. Simultaneously, major engineering contributions to bow plane control, keels, torpedo tube alignment systems and periscope hoists were made under his direction. He has also led the engineering work that has more than doubled the lift capacity of marine cranes with innovations in high horsepower drive systems and boom fabrication.

Production of steel castings and fabricated materials to supply the needs of the continually growing Manitowoc Company, Inc., under Mr. West's leadership has resulted in the establishment of new or enlarged industries in these fields in Wisconsin.

Mr. West was honored by Beloit College, which presented him an Honorary Doctor of Science degree in 1980 and by the Society for Advancement of Management, which presented him with the "Professional Manager Citation" in 1959. He is active in a wide variety of community activities.




Date last modified: 11-Dec-2013
Date created: 12-Sep-2007 00:30:00
Content by: alumni@engr.wisc.edu
Accessibility

Web services
Copyright 2010 The Board of Regents of the University of Wisconsin System