1978 Award Recipients

JAMES K. BAKKEN
Distinguished Service Award Recipient

KURT W. BAUER
Distinguished Service Award Recipient

JOSEPH BLINKA
Distinguished Service Award Recipient

EDWARD C. CREUTZ
Distinguished Service Award Recipient

JOHN D. DEBBINK
Distinguished Service Award Recipient

LEW F. PORTER
Distinguished Service Award Recipient

DONALD F. SCHULZ
Distinguished Service Award Recipient

JAMES K. BAKKEN

JAMES K. BAKKEN (Large image)

JAMES K. BAKKEN

Vice President, Body and Assembly Operations, Ford Motor Company, Dearborn, Michigan.

For his innovative contributions to the design of automotive production systems.

Born, Mount Horeb, Wisconsin, April 17, 1924.

BS (ME) 1945, University of Wisconsin.

MBA (Industrial Management) 1963, Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

After graduation Mr. Bakken joined the Ford Motor Company as a student engineer and has been associated with the Company since that time. During his career he has gained broad managerial experience, having served as General Manager of four major divisions, including the Metal Stamping Division, the General Products Division, the Electrical and Electronics Division, and the Ford Tractor Operations. Appointed to his present position in 1977, he is responsible for production operations involving more than 100,000 employees in 32 plants in the United States and Canada. He is one of the top policymakers for Ford North American Automotive Operations, which accounts for about 85 percent of the Company's revenue. Through his technical expertise in materials forming, he has contributed significantly to the development and improved design of automotive production systems. At the same time, he is highly "people-oriented" and is constantly striving to obtain more effective involvement and active participation of both salaried and hourly employees in attaining Company goals.

He was awarded an Alfred P. Sloan Fellowship in 1962. An active member of both the Society of Automotive Engineers and the Engineering Society of Detroit, he has also served as an instructor at the Henry Ford Community College in Dearborn and for six years as a member of the YMCA Board of Management. He is also active in the affairs of his church.

KURT W. BAUER

KURT W. BAUER (Large image)

KURT W. BAUER

Executive Director, Southeastern Wisconsin Regional Planning Commission, Waukesha, Wisconsin.

For his significant long-term contributions to integrated land use, public works and water resource planning at both the regional and national level.

Born, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, August 25, 1929.

BS (CE) 1951, Marquette University.

MS (CE) 1955 and PhD (CE) 1961, University of Wisconsin.

Prior to joining the Southeastern Wisconsin Regional Planning Commission as Assistant Director in 1961, Mr. Bauer had served in the engineering planning departments of both South Milwaukee and Madison. He was promoted to his present position in 1962. He has directed and supervised the preparation of more than 70 major planning and technical reports and guides of which many have attracted national attention. In addition, he is the author of more than 35 professional papers and magazine articles.

Among the many awards Dr. Bauer has received for his contributions to the art and practice of integrated land use are the American Society of Civil Engineers' Harland Bartholomew Award, in 1970; the National Society of Professional Engineers Outstanding Achievement Award, in 1971; and the United States Department of Transportation Public Service Award, in 1977.

As a member of the American Society of Civil Engineers, he serves on three of its technical committees. He is also a member of the American Institute of Planners, the American Society of Planning Officials, and the Highway Research Board. Since 1970 he has served as one of 15 members of the National Academy of Engineering Committee on Transportation, and from 1970 to 1973 he served as one of eight members on the National Water Commission Panel on Formulation of Water Resources Plans.

JOSEPH BLINKA

JOSEPH BLINKA (Large image)

JOSEPH BLINKA

Director, Soap and Toilet Goods Technology Division, Miami Valley Laboratories, The Procter and Gamble Company, Cincinnati, Ohio.

For his notable contributions to reducing the materials requirements and the environmental impact of paper manufacturing.

Born, Cudahy, Wisconsin, February 28, 1922.

BS (ChE) 1947, and MS (ChE) 1948, University of Wisconsin.

Mr. Blinka started his professional career with Procter and Gamble as a project engineer in the Chemical Division after completing his academic work in 1948. He was transferred to the Paper Products Division in 1957 and became Associate Director of the Division in 1968. Responsible for process development for pulp and paper processing during part of this period, he revitalized the Company's sulfite mill at Green Bay, Wisconsin, to increase the capacity and quality of the plant's product with improved environmental impact at lower operating costs. Through his mastery of the technology of sulfite pulping, he was instrumental in the design and construction of an economical and environmentally compatible sulfite mill in Pennsylvania in 1967.

He also led the design and early implementation of a new tissue-making process which increased tissue bulk yet required 20 percent less raw materials. In 1970 he was appointed Associate Director of the Packaged Soap and Detergents Division and was promoted to his present position in 1974.

He is the holder or co-holder of six United States Patents. He is a member of the Engineering Society of Cincinnati, Ohio and of the Board of Faith Lutheran Church. During World War II he served as a naval officer on a destroyer in the Pacific theater.

EDWARD C. CREUTZ

EDWARD C. CREUTZ (Large image)

EDWARD C. CREUTZ

Director, Bernice P. Bishop Museum, Honolulu, Hawaii.

For his contributions to the nation's nuclear industry through his development of nuclear measurements and metallurgical techniques.

Born, Beaver Dam, Wisconsin, January 23, 1913.

BS 1936 and PhD (Physics) 1939, University of Wisconsin.

Dr. Creutz began his professional career as a Physics instructor at Princeton University in 1939. After serving with the Manhattan Project and Los Alamos Scientific Laboratory, he was appointed to the faculty at Carnegie Institute of Technology where he became Head of the Department of Physics and Director of the Nuclear Research Center. In 1955 he joined Gulf General Atomic as Vice President, Research and Development, and in 1970 he was appointed by the President of the United States as Assistant Director of Research of the National Science Foundation. On his retirement from the National Science Foundation in 1977, he was appointed to his present position.

His broad interest in engineering and science has resulted in the publication of articles in physics as well as on metallurgical and botanical subjects. He is the author of more than 60 published scientific and technical papers and holds 18 United States Patents. Among his many honors are the National Science Foundation Distinguished Service Award, election as a member of the National Academy of Sciences and as a Fellow in both the American Physical Society and the American Nuclear Society. He is a member of many other professional and honorary societies.

As the first vice president of the San Diego Hall of Science and Planetarium, he contributed significantly to the design of its space theater and in 1962 was presented the Greater San Diego Industry-Education Council Award for forwarding scientific education.

JOHN D. DEBBINK

JOHN D. DEBBINK (Large image)

JOHN D. DEBBINK

General Manager, Delco Moraine Division, General Motors Corporation, Dayton, Ohio.

For his contributions to the conservation of natural resources in automotive transportation.

Born, Wauwatosa, Wisconsin. April 24, 1924.

BS (ME) 1949, University of Wisconsin.

MS (Industrial Management) 1957, Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

After graduation, Mr. Debbink joined the Chevrolet Division of General Motors Corporation as a graduate in training and has served that Company for his entire professional career in a variety of supervisory positions concerned with the production and the personnel aspects of the Company's operations. In 1968, he was appointed Manager of the Chevrolet Vega Small Car Project and a year later was given the added responsibilities of Regional Plant Manager for the Chevrolet Plants at Bay City, Michigan, Massena, New York, Lordstown and Norwood, Ohio. He was appointed Executive Engineer—Administration at the Chevrolet Engineering Center in 1970, and then was promoted to General Director of Purchasing, Production Control, and Traffic for the Chevrolet Motor Division. He became Director of Corporate Product Planning in 1974, and was promoted to his present position in 1976.

An active participant in community affairs, he has served as an officer in the Chamber of Commerce, United Fund, Boy Scouts of America, the School Board and Library Board in various communities in which he lived. He is currently a member of the Board of Directors of United Way, the Board of Trustees of the YMCA, both in Dayton, Ohio, and also the Board of Regents of the General Motors Institute in Flint, Michigan. He has served his church actively as an Elder and a Sunday School Teacher and his country as an Air Force pilot in World War II.

LEW F. PORTER

LEW F. PORTER (Large image)

LEW F. PORTER

Senior Research Consultant, Physical Metallurgy Research Laboratory, U.S. Steel Corporation, Monroeville, Pennsylvania.

For his discoveries of ferrous material properties which contributed to the development of high-strength steels.

Born, Madison, Wisconsin, July 18, 1918.

BS (ChE) 1940; MS (Met Engr) 1950 and PhD (Met Engr) 1956, University of Wisconsin.

Following graduation. Dr. Porter began his professional career as Chief Chemist at American Steel Foundries, Indiana Harbour Works. In 1947, after serving in the United States Navy, he joined the Chain Belt Company as a research metallurgist and in 1955 joined the Applied Research Laboratory of U.S. Steel, where he spent his first two years as guest scientist in solid-state physics at the Brookhaven National Laboratory. In his present position as Senior Research Consultant in Physical Metallurgy, he is also head of the Physical Metallurgy Division of the Laboratory.

He is the author of more than 20 technical papers in the areas of gray cast iron, thermomechanical treatment of steel, radiation effects and alloy-steel development and has given at least 10 invited lectures. He has directed the base metal development for the submarine hull weldment system of the next generation of United States submarines. He also contributed to the development of another high-strength steel currently used in aerospace applications. He demonstrated the super-plasticity which occurs during phase transformation in steel and which has been found since to exist in many alloys. This discovery is beginning to find commercial application in difficult forming operations.

He has been chosen twice by the American Society for Metals as the recipient of its Henry Marion Howe Medal. He is a member of several professional societies and active in civic organizations and his church.

DONALD F. SCHULZ

DONALD F. SCHULZ (Large image)

DONALD F. SCHULZ

General Manager, Calculator Products Division and Loveland Facility, Hewlett-Packard, Loveland, Colorado.

For his contributions to test instrumentation design and production quality standards.

Born, Dodge County, Wisconsin, August 18, 1930.

BS (EE) 1955 and MS (EE) 1956, University of Wisconsin.

Upon graduation, Mr. Schulz joined Hewlett-Packard as an engineer on the technical staff. In 1960 he was promoted to Project Manager and was responsible for the design of a wide range of products such as advanced power supplies, wave analyzers, low-level low-noise amplifiers and many others. One of the company's most successful products—the Model 3440A Digital Multimeter, designed under his direction, was the first instrument of its type to fully exploit plug-in modular design that provided a wide range of functional abilities within a single basic instrument. In 1963, he was promoted to Digital Engineering Laboratory Section Manager. The company's first desk-top programmable calculator received its final product design, production and introduction to the market in 1968 in this section. In 1970, he was appointed General Manager of the Calculator Products Division and in 1976 was promoted to his present position. He holds several United States Patents covering circuit design of test instruments.

He is Chairman of the Colorado Council of the Western Electronic Manufacturers Association and a member of the Boards of Directors of the First National Bank in Loveland, the Colorado Public Expenditures Council and the McKee Medical Center Development Fund. He has been President of Junior Achievement of Northern Colorado, and chairman of fund drives for the National Asthma Center and of his church council. He served in the United States Navy for three years prior to enrolling at the University.




Date last modified: 18-Sep-2014
Date created: 12-Sep-2007 00:30:00
Content by: alumni@engr.wisc.edu
Accessibility

Web services
Copyright 2010 The Board of Regents of the University of Wisconsin System