1974 Award Recipients

Engineers' Day Information:
Diane Randall
608/265-4048
drandall@engr.wisc.edu

ROBERT B. BECKMANN
Distinguished Service Award Recipient

ROBERT M. BOLZ
Distinguished Service Award Recipient

RICHARD E. DAVIS
Distinguished Service Award Recipient

FRANKLIN T. MATTHIAS
Distinguished Service Award Recipient

NORWOOD BOWERS MELCHER
Distinguished Service Award Recipient

RAGNAR E. ONSTAD
Distinguished Service Award Recipient

PAUL W. RAMSEY
Distinguished Service Award Recipient

NORMAN C. STORCK
Distinguished Service Award Recipient

ROBERT H. WENTORF, JR.
Distinguished Service Award Recipient

CHARLES W.YODER
Distinguished Service Award Recipient

ROBERT B. BECKMANN

ROBERT B. BECKMANN (Large image)

ROBERT B. BECKMANN

Dean, College of Engineering, University of Maryland, College Park, Maryland.

For his outstanding research in Chemical Engineering and his dedication to and advancement of engineering education.

Born, St. Louis, Missouri, September 15, 1918.

B.S. (Ch.E.) 1940, University of Illinois.

Ph.D. (Ch.E.) 1944, University of Wisconsin.

During 1944-1946 he worked as a Research Chemical Engineer for the Humble Oil and Refining Company. He joined the Chemical Engineering faculty of Carnegie Institute of Technology, now Carnegie-Mellon Institute, in 1946 as an Assistant Professor and subsequently became Professor of Chemical Engineering. In 1961 he accepted a position as Professor and Head of the Chemical Engineering Department at the University of Maryland. He was appointed to his present position as Dean of the College of Engineering at the University of Maryland in 1966. He has been an author or co-author of 37 publications in Chemical Engineering and Engineering Education and has directed 29 graduate students in doctoral programs. His research interests have centered around liquid-liquid mass transfer, kinetics and catalysis, and process engineering and design.

A member of many professional and honorary societies, he is particularly active on the Education and the Accreditation Committee of the American Institute of Chemical Engineers (Chairman 1964-68) and in the engineering education and accreditation activities of the Engineers Council for Professional Development, which he currently serves as Vice President and member of the Board of Directors. He is also active in the American Society for Engineering Education, National Research Council, Engineering Society of Baltimore, and Oak Ridge Associated Universities Council. He has served as a distinguished engineering lecturer at Texas Technological University and Oklahoma State University and is listed in Who's Who in America.

ROBERT M. BOLZ

ROBERT M. BOLZ (Large image)

ROBERT M. BOLZ

President, Oscar Mayor and Company, Madison, Wisconsin.

For outstanding leadership and administrative ability in the advancement of the food processing industry and for his contributions to his community through civic and educational activities.

Born, Chicago, Illinois, September 27, 1922.

B.S. (M.E.) 1944, University of Wisconsin; Harvard Business School.

After his studies at Harvard he worked briefly as an Industrial Engineer for Lockheed Aircraft Company and then served in the U.S. Army. In 1946 he joined Oscar Mayer and Company as a trainee, was promoted to foreman and in 1948 was appointed Operations Manager. In 1953 he became Vice President of Sales and Service for the Kartridge Pak Company, a subsidiary co-owned by Oscar Mayer and the Dow Chemical Company. He was appointed Assistant to the Vice President of Engineering and Research at Oscar Mayer and Company in 1963 and General Planning Engineer in 1965. He was elected a Director and promoted to Vice President of Engineering in 1966. In 1971 he became Executive Vice President and in 1973 was elected to his present position. He is also currently Vice President and a Director of Kartridge Pak Company.

Very active in civic and educational work, he serves as a Director for: Madison General Hospital; Wisconsin Manufacturers' Association; Madison Gas and Electric Company; American Cancer Society (Wisconsin Chapter); Madison Metropolitan YMCA; and the Wisconsin Foundation of Independent Colleges. He serves as a Trustee of Carroll College; Wisconsin Alumni Research Foundation; and the William F. Vilas Foundation. He is also active as a member of the Ad Hoc Industrial Committee of Wisconsin.

RICHARD E. DAVIS

RICHARD E. DAVIS (Large image)

RICHARD E. DAVIS

President and Chairman of the Board of Directors, UNICO, Incorporated, Franksville, Wisconsin.

For his development of many hydraulic, electrohydraulic, and electrical control systems used in a wide variety of industrial applications.

Born, Oshkosh, Wisconsin, April 12, 1914.

B.S. (E.E.) 1936, University of Wisconsin.

After graduation he was employed by the Oilgear Company of Milwaukee as an Engineer in 1936 and was transferred to the Research and Development Department in Maryland in 1941. He joined Lockheed Aircraft Company as Chief Engineer in the Aerial Measurements Laboratory in 1943 and left in 1947 to serve as an Instructor at Northwestern University for one year. He rejoined the Oilgear Company as West Coast Manager in 1948 and transferred in 1953 to Milwaukee as Assistant Chief Engineer. In 1961 he joined Racine and Vickers Armstrongs, Inc., as Chief Engineer, was promoted to Vice President of Engineering, and to President in 1966. He started UNICO, Inc., located in Franksville, Wisconsin, in 1968 and has served in his present position from the start to the present time. The company sells control systems to a worldwide market.

He has a number of patents on electrohydraulic control systems and has been responsible for the development of commercial electrohydraulically controlled pumps for industrial applications. He is a Registered Professional Engineer in Wisconsin. His strong interest in education is shown by his activity over a twelve-year period as a member of the Board of Education of the Oconomowoc School District. He has also served as President of the Waukesha County Unitarian Fellowship.

FRANKLIN T. MATTHIAS

FRANKLIN T. MATTHIAS (Large image)

FRANKLIN T. MATTHIAS

Vice President (Retired), Kaiser Engineers, Oakland, California.

For his many important contributions to the construction industry in North and South America.

Born, Glidden, Wisconsin, March 13, 1908.

B.S. (C.E.) 1931, M.S. (C.E.) 1933, C.E. 1940, University of Wisconsin.

He started his professional career as an instructor in Topographical and Hydraulic Engineering at the University of Wisconsin in 1928. He left after 7 years to serve as Junior Hydraulic Engineer for the Tennessee Valley Authority from 1935 to 1939. Then for brief periods during 1940-41 he served as Construction Engineer for the A. L. Johnson Construction Company and the Dravo Corporation. In 1941 he joined the Construction Department of the Corps of Engineers, U.S. Army and advanced from First Lieutenant to Colonel. From 1943 to 1946 he was the Officer-in-Charge of Construction, responsible for coordination of research and development of plutonium, and Commanding Officer of Operations, Hanford Engineer Works Project of the Manhattan Engineer District. He was awarded the Distinguished Service Medal by the U.S. Army for this work. He then worked five years in Brazil as Project Manager and Manager for various hydroelectric projects. During 1951-60 he worked for the Aluminum Company of Canada on the construction of the Kemano-Kitimat Hydro and Aluminum Plant in British Columbia. He joined Kaiser Engineers of Oakland, California, as Vice President in 1960 and remained with that organization to his retirement in 1973. He now is active as a consultant to many organizations.

He is a Registered Professional Engineer in Wisconsin, California, Nebraska, Pennsylvania, and British Columbia, and is a member of many professional and honorary organizations. He is a member of the Advisory Board of the California Water Resources Association, Construction Committee of the U.S., Committee on Large Dams, Committee on Construction of Nuclear Facilities, and American Society of Civil Engineers. He has written many engineering and construction articles for professional publications, including the section "Construction Services" for the Handbook of Heavy Construction.

NORWOOD BOWERS MELCHER

NORWOOD BOWERS MELCHER (Large image)

NORWOOD BOWERS MELCHER

Retired, Consultant for the United States Bureau of Mines.

For his significant contributions to the national welfare resulting from his outstanding metallurgical engineering accomplishments.

Born, Delavan, Wisconsin, October 10, 1915.

B.S. (Met. E.) 1937, M.S. (Met. E.) 1940, Metallurgical Engineer, 1966, University of Wisconsin.

He started his professional career with the Columbia Steel Company at Provo, Utah, as Blast Furnace Engineer in 1937 and remained with that company to 1941, except for a leave of absence to work for his M.S. degree. The rest of his professional career was with the Bureau of Mines in various capacities: Mineral Economist and Commodity Specialist in Washington, D.C., from 1941-52; Chief, Ferrous Metals and Alloys Division in Washington, D.C., from 1952-55; Chief, Division of Mineral Industries in Pittsburgh from 1955-57; Chief, Pyro-metallurgical Laboratory in Pittsburgh from 1957-59; and Research Director, Twin Cities Metallurgy Center in Minneapolis from 1959-72. He retired in 1972 and now serves as a consultant to the United States Bureau of Mines.

He is the author of many articles on various fields of Ferrous Extractive Metallurgy, and has written 42 chapters for the Minerals Yearbook on Ferrous Metals and Ferroalloys. He is a member of many technical and honorary societies including the American Institute of Mining, Metallurgical and Petroleum Engineers, American Foundrymen's Society and the Eastern States Blast Furnace and Coke Oven Association. He has been honored on two different occasions by the U.S. Department of Interior—in 1965 with the Honor Award for Meritorious Service and in 1973 with the Distinguished Service Award, the highest award of the Department of Interior. During his professional career he presented papers at international meetings in France, England, Canada, Japan, and Australia, and was a member of the American Iron and Steel Institute group that inspected steelmaking facilities in the U.S.S.R. He has also been actively involved with civic, religious and educational groups.

RAGNAR E. ONSTAD

RAGNAR E. ONSTAD (Large image)

RAGNAR E. ONSTAD

Chairman, Board of Directors, Research Products Corporation, Madison, Wisconsin

For his outstanding skill in the successful management and development of Wisconsin industries which have produced a wide variety of engineering products and have provided many employment opportunities for the citizens of the state.

Born, Wittenberg, Wisconsin, June 7, 1902.

Attended the University of Wisconsin 4 years (E.E.).

After leaving the University he accepted a position in 1925 as Tool and Machine Designer with the Highway Trailer Company in Edgerton, Wisconsin. In 1926 he accepted a position with the Burgess Battery Company in Madison serving as Industrial Engineer and later as Assistant to the President of that company. In 1936 he became General Superintendent and in 1938 President of the Thordarson Electric Company in Chicago, Illinois, a Burgess subsidiary. During his presidency he and his employees received in 1942 the Army-Navy "E" Award for excellency in the development and manufacture of transformers, electrical instrumentation, and electric equipment for all branches of the Armed Forces. From 1936 to 1944 he was also a Director of the Burgess Battery Company. In 1944 he became Assistant Manager of the Marathon Foundry Company in Wausau, Wisconsin. In 1948 he was elected President of Research Products Corporation in Madison, a position he held until 1963. He was elected Chairman of the Board of Research Products in 1954, a position which he still holds.

He was primarily responsible for establishing the Benjamin Smith Reynolds Award for excellence in teaching engineering students at the University of Wisconsin. He has been very active in church and civic matters in the communities in which he has lived. Representative activities include service as President of the Madison Curling Club, choir director and member of the church council of the Redeemer Lutheran Church in Chicago, and Chairman of the Conservation Committee of the Chain-0-Lakes Protection Association concerned with matters relating to water pollution.

PAUL W. RAMSEY

PAUL W. RAMSEY (Large image)

PAUL W. RAMSEY

Manager, Welding Research and Development, A. 0. Smith Corporation, Milwaukee, Wisconsin.

For his vision and management in the development of automatic welding equipment and welding processes for automotive frames, line pipe, and other industrial products.

Born, Wilkinsburg, Pennsylvania, February 17, 1919.

B.S. (Met.E.), 1940, Carnegie-Mellon University; M.S. (Met.E.) 1956, University of Wisconsin.

After receiving his B.S. degree he served the New Jersey Zinc Company as a Research Physical Metallurgist for several years after which he served as a Communications Officer on a destroyer in the Pacific Fleet during World War II. He then devoted some time to graduate study. Since 1951 he has been a member of the A. 0. Smith Corporation with responsibilities in welding research and operations. He has held his present position since 1965.

He is an active member of many technical societies. His major interest and effort have been with the American Welding Society which he has served as National Director, Vice President and presently is the National President Designate for 1975-76. He received the District Meritorious Award in 1970 and the National Meritorious Award in 1971 from the Society. He has been a past chairman of the Welding Book Committee. He has authored twelve technical papers, has four patents in the welding field, and is a Registered Professional Engineer in Wisconsin.

His civic and religious activities include sixteen years as alderman for the City of Wauwatosa, Wisconsin, including two as President of the Common Council; member of the Wauwatosa Plan Commission and Chairman of the Comprehensive Plan Committee; Elder of the Wauwatosa Presbyterian Church since 1952; Committee Troop Chairman of the Boy Scouts of America; and Division Chairman of the United Fund of Greater Milwaukee.

NORMAN C. STORCK

NORMAN C. STORCK (Large image)

NORMAN C. STORCK

Vice President—Transmission and Distribution, Wisconsin Electric Power Company, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

For the development of reliable and economical power in Wisconsin and his invention of electrical equipment that has led to many industrial advances.

Born, Madison, Wisconsin, March 24, 1915.

B.S. (E.E.) 1937, University of Wisconsin.

Joining the Wisconsin Electric Power Company in 1937 as a Junior Field Engineer, he has served this company in positions of increasing responsibility for his entire professional career. He was appointed to his present position in 1967 after serving for almost ten years as the Company's Chief Electrical Engineer. He is a Registered Professional Engineer in Wisconsin and has nine patents on electrical equipment. Included among his many technical and industrial society affiliations are: Edison Electrical Institute; American National Standards Institute; Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers; Electric Power Research Institute; Joint Committee on Power Circuit Breakers; Association of Electrical Inspectors; and Engineers and Scientists of Milwaukee.

He has served his community as a member of the Advisory Committee for University of Wisconsin—Milwaukee, the Lakeshore Technical Institute, and the Milwaukee School of Engineering where he was also a past chairman of the Mathematics Department. In addition, he is a past president of the Milwaukee Jaycees, a Commissioner on the Southeastern Wisconsin Regional Planning Commission and Chairman of its Planning and Research Committee, member of the Milwaukee Association of Commerce and of the Wisconsin Utilities Association. He has received the Memorial Award for Inspirational Engineering Leadership from the Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers, a Recognition Award from the Milwaukee School of Engineering, and a United Fund Citation for Community Service.

ROBERT H. WENTORF,JR.

ROBERT H. WENTORF, JR. (Large image)

ROBERT H. WENTORF, JR.

Research Associate, Schenectady Laboratories, General Electric Company, Schenectady, New York.

For research leading to the discovery of new man-made materials which resulted in important developments in many engineering areas.

Born, West Bend, Wisconsin, May 28, 1926.

B.S. (Ch.E.) 1948 and Ph.D. (Chemistry) 1952, University of Wisconsin.

Except for one year as a Brittingham Visiting Professor in Chemical Engineering at the University of Wisconsin, his professional career has been with the Schenectady Laboratories of the General Electric Company. A specialist in High Pressure Chemistry, he has pioneered in the development and applications of the synthetic (man-made) diamonds made by synthesizing diamond from graphite. This method is used for the production of industrial diamonds in tonnage quantities. Later he discovered a high-pressure method of changing hexagonal boron nitride into a cubic form, almost as hard as diamond but more inert. This material enjoys increasing use as an abrasive and cutting tool material for hard steels and other alloys against which diamond is too reactive. He has produced new forms of matter by high-pressure processes such as two new forms of silicon, a new form of boron, a new form of carbon intermediate between graphite and diamond, and high density forms of boron arsenate and boron phosphate.

He is the author of numerous publications and has edited two books on high-pressure technology. Some of the patents resulting from his work have led to interesting patent cases in courts around the world. He is a member of a number of technical organizations, one of which, the American Chemical Society, awarded him the Ipatieff Prize for his work in high-pressure technology in 1965.

CHARLES W.YODER

CHARLES W.YODER (Large image)

CHARLES W.YODER

Consulting Engineer, Milwaukee, Wisconsin.

For his distinguished service to society and to the Civil Engineering profession.

Born, Pottstown, Pennsylvania, June 15, 1911.

B.S. (C.E.) 1932, Pennsylvania State University.

He had early construction experience with the Bethlehem Steel Company, the Empire Construction Company, the Pennsylvania Shipping Company, and the Keystone Pipe Line Company. In 1939 he was appointed Junior Engineer and later Assistant Engineer in the Washington, D.C., office of the Chief of Engineers, Corps of Engineers. He joined the Pennsylvania Railroad Company in 1942 and for three years was engaged in structural design of bridges and buildings. During the period 1945-53 he was the District Structural Engineer for the Portland Cement Association assigned to the Milwaukee office. In 1953 he started the engineering consulting firm Charles W. Yoder & Associates which he still heads.

His major professional society activity has been with the American Society of Civil Engineers which he currently serves as President of the National Society. He has served this organization in many other capacities, as President of the state chapter and also as a director and vice president of the National Society. He has served on 20 national A.S.C.E. committees and was chairman of nearly half of them, including the committee that drafted the A.S.C.E. "Guide to Professional Practice Under the Code of Ethics," considered to be an important milestone in the Society's history. He has been active in many other technical and professional societies, including American Institute of Consulting Engineers, Wisconsin and National Societies of Professional Engineers, American Concrete Institute, Construction Specifications Institute, and Engineers and Scientists of Milwaukee. In 1967 the Wisconsin Section of A.S.C.E. awarded his firm the "Outstanding Civil Engineering Achievement" award for their design of the Dane County Memorial Coliseum, Madison, Wisconsin.




Date last modified: 11-Dec-2013
Date created: 12-Sep-2007 00:30:00
Content by: alumni@engr.wisc.edu
Accessibility

Web services
Copyright 2010 The Board of Regents of the University of Wisconsin System