At SOAR, students learn about the College of Engineering, the General College Requirements, liberal electives, major options, career paths and receive quality advising by professional academic advisors with additional support from peer advisors.
If you have questions about SOAR please review our list of Frequently Asked Questions.
Pre-departmental students (EGR students)
EGR students are new students who have been admitted to the College of Engineering but who are not yet affiliated with a degree-granting engineering department.
EGR students have up to four semesters to qualify and apply to a degree-granting department.
To apply to a degree-granting department, submit the Application to Transfer into a Degree-granting Engineering Program (requires UW-Madison NetID).
Application deadlines are as follows:
Fall semester - December 1st
Spring semester - May 1st (beginning Fall 2013)
Departmental students (students who are affiliated with a degree-granting engineering department) are undergraduate students who are affiliated with, and have been admitted to, one of the following degree granting engineering departments:
- Biomedical Engineering
- Chemical and Biological Engineering
- Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Electrical and Computer Engineering (electrical engineering, computer engineering)
- Engineering Physics (engineering mechanics, engineering physics, nuclear engineering)
- Geological Engineering
- Industrial and Systems Engineering
- Materials Science and Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering