How to Apply to an Engineering Department
Application deadlines are as follows:
Fall semester - December 1st
Spring semester - May 1st
Select the category that best fits you
Currently I am a ...
|I am a pre-departmental student in the College of Engineering|
|I am a pre-departmental transfer student in the College of Engineering|
|I am in an engineering department and want to transfer to a different engineering department|
|I am a UW-Madison student not in the College of Engineering|
|I attended or I am attending a college or university other than UW-Madison after high school|
|I have not been enrolled in the College of Engineering for at least 1 semester, and I now want to return|
EGR and EGRT students are students who have been admitted to the College of Engineering but who are not yet affiliated with a degree-granting engineering department. If you meet the General College Requirements (GCR) then you qualify to apply to a degree-granting department by submitting the Application to Transfer into a Degree-granting Engineering Program (requires UW-Madison NetID). This is an application for ALL UW-Madison Students.
Departmental students (students who are affiliated with a degree-granting engineering department) are undergraduate students who are affiliated with, and have been admitted to, one of the following degree granting engineering departments:
- Biomedical Engineering
- Chemical and Biological Engineering
- Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Electrical and Computer Engineering (electrical engineering, computer engineering)
- Engineering Physics (engineering mechanics, engineering physics, nuclear engineering)
- Geological Engineering
- Industrial and Systems Engineering
- Materials Science and Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
If you wish to apply to a degree granting engineering department here are some quick facts you must know before you apply:
1. Effective immediately, students not currently in the College of Engineering may apply a maximum of two times to the College of Engineering.
2. 80 Credit Limit- Students who have earned more than 80 credits at the time of application are not eligible to apply for transfer admission to the College of Engineering.
The 80 credits include:
· All credits completed at the time of application, including UW-Madison credits and transferable credits from other colleges and universities
The 80 credits do not include:
· In-progress credits (at the time of application)
· Retroactive foreign language credits
· Advanced Placement (AP), International Baccalaureate (IB), College Level Examination Program (CLEP) credits
· GCE Advanced Level (A-Level) credits
· UW-Madison calculus credits awarded by examination
*The credit limit does not apply to candidates at other institutions who are in transfer agreement programs with the College of Engineering and to candidates who have already completed a bachelor's degree*
3. You must meet the General College Requirements (GCR) to qualify to apply to a degree-granting department.
4. If you satisfy the 3 requirements mentioned above, you can apply by submitting the Application to Transfer into a Degree-granting Engineering Program (requires UW-Madison NetID).