At SOAR, students learn about the College of Engineering, the General College Requirements, liberal electives, major options, career paths and receive quality advising by professional academic advisors with additional support from peer advisors.
If you have questions about SOAR please review our list of Frequently Asked Questions.
Pre-departmental students (EGR students)
EGR students are new students who have been admitted to the College of Engineering but who are not yet affiliated with a degree-granting engineering department.
EGR students have up to four semesters to qualify and apply to a degree-granting department.
To apply to a degree-granting department, submit the Application to Transfer into a Degree-granting Engineering Program (requires UW-Madison NetID). This is an application for ALL UW-Madison Students.
Application deadlines are as follows:
Fall semester - December 1st
Spring semester - May 1st (beginning Fall 2013)
Departmental students (students who are affiliated with a degree-granting engineering department) are undergraduate students who are affiliated with, and have been admitted to, one of the following degree granting engineering departments:
- Biomedical Engineering
- Chemical and Biological Engineering
- Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Electrical and Computer Engineering (electrical engineering, computer engineering)
- Engineering Physics (engineering mechanics, engineering physics, nuclear engineering)
- Geological Engineering
- Industrial and Systems Engineering
- Materials Science and Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
Effective immediately, students not currently in the College of Engineering may apply a maximum of two times to the College of Engineering.
Beginning the Fall 2014 application cycle (for Spring 2015 admission):
80 Credit Limit - Students who have earned more than 80 credits at the time of application are not eligible to apply for transfer admission to the College of Engineering.
The 80 credits include:
- All credits completed at the time of application, including UW-Madison credits and transferable credits from other colleges and universities
The 80 credits do not include:
- In-progress credits (at the time of application)
- Retroactive foreign language credits
- Advanced Placement (AP), International Baccalaureate (IB), College Level Examination Program (CLEP) credits
- GCE Advanced Level (A-Level) credits
- UW-Madison calculus credits awarded by examination
The credit limit does not apply to candidates at other institutions who are in transfer agreement programs with the College of Engineering and to candidates who have already completed a bachelor's degree.