Chemical and Biological Engineering
Home :
CBE 489 Honors in Research

Expectations for Honors in Research Projects

The research should be such that the student participates in the creation of new knowledge, experiences the research process, and makes a contribution so that it would be appropriate to include the student's name on scholarly publications resulting from the research. The research need not be an independent effort by the student, but can be participation in a larger team effort, as long as it meets the criteria above.

Admission Requirement

At least two semesters completed on the Madison campus with a cumulative GPA of at least 3.5.

Admission Process

Students should identify and obtain the concurrence of an appropriate professor to serve as a thesis advisor. Students should submit a letter to the Chemical and Biological Engineering department chair requesting admission, stating the approximate topic of the proposed research, and identifying the proposed thesis advisor who will guide the student's work. The topic should be appropriate to the major. A letter from the proposed thesis advisor supporting the application should be included.

Academic Credit

Students register for credit in Honors in Undergraduate Research (CBE 489). Students may register for 1 to 3 credits per semester. A grade of "P" (Progress) will be assigned each semester until the student completes the senior thesis or drops out of the program, at which time a final grade is assigned (based on research progress and the written thesis if completed). This becomes the grade for all credits taken in CBE 489.

Senior Thesis

A senior thesis worth 3 credits of CBE 489 is required. The senior thesis is a written document reporting on a substantial piece of work. It should be written in the style of a graduate thesis. The thesis advisor determines the grade which the student receives for the thesis. A bound copy of the thesis should be submitted to the Chemical and Biological Engineering department office.

The senior thesis should be presented by the student to a committee in a publicly announced seminar. Interested faculty and students will be invited to attend.

Honors Designation

"Honors in Research" designation will be awarded to graduates who meet the following requirements:

  1. Satisfaction of requirements for an undergraduate degree in Chemical Engineering

  2. A cumulative grade-point average of at least 3.3

  3. Completion of a total of at least 8 credits in CBE 489

  4. Completion of a senior honors thesis with a final grade ofB or better


The designation, “Honors in Research” will be recorded on the student’s transcript.

Copyright 2009 The Board of Regents of the University of Wisconsin System
Date last modified: 28-Oct-2009
Date created: 28-Oct-2009
Content by:

Web services