Priorities and Policy for Laboratory Use
- The laboratory provides physical testing facilities and
technical assistance to students, and faculty engaged in instruction
and research. Service testing is also provided to the public
and private firms. All laboratory activity and requests for
testing assistance are registered and processed through the
WSMTL Office in Room 1314 Engineering Hall. Advanced reservations
are essential to ensure space and equipment will be available.
Reservations are encouraged at the time of course planning
or proposal submission. We are unable to provide service on
demand. Testing assistance and services are rendered with
the following priority:
- Formal academic instruction (coursework and projects)
and formal student organization competitions.
- Service Testing
- Independent study and un-funded research investigations
- Once a request for services in submitted to the laboratory
office, resources are assigned, usually within 72 hours of
- Service testing provided to public and private firms is
provided on a cost-reimbursable basis. All users and
visitors to the laboratory must sign a safety acknowledgment
form and adhere to the written laboratory safety policy.
- As a service, the laboratory provides testing to the public
and private organizations. This activity is conducted on a
cost-reimbursable basis. In addition to fulfilling a service
mission, service testing provides better utilization of test
equipment, defrays the cost of maintaining equipment and operating
the laboratory, and sometimes provides engineering students
the opportunity to learn and practice their testing skills.
- Structural and materials testing such as fatigue, fracture,
creep, stress analysis, non-destructive testing, earth-structure
interaction and fluid-structure interaction