The Tong BME Design Awards Details
The Tong BME Design Awards
The annual competition is sponsored by University of Wisconsin-Madison electrical engineering alumnus Peter Tong and the Tong Family Foundation. The Tong awards reward biomedical engineering undergraduate teams that design innovative solutions and develop outstanding prototypes. Their work addresses real challenges that University of Wisconsin medical and life sciences faculty and area biomedical companies face and offer for the students to solve.
All designs are judged at the end of the spring semester during the BME Design Expo final poster session held on the penultimate Friday of the spring semester. The panel consists of guest entrepreneurs, innovators and biomedical industry leaders. Criteria for prize selection are the following:
1. Has the team defined the client’s identified clinical/medical/scientific need?
2. Has the team identified any competing devices/existing intellectual property?
3. Are the design problem and the proposed solution clear and self explanatory?
4. Does the design appear to satisfy the client's functional requirements?
5. Is there evidence of significant technical progress?
6. Is the prototype skillfully designed and constructed?
7. Does the prototype work?
8. Oral presentation: Does the team have a professional demeanor?
The reception begins at 3:00 PM in the Tong Auditorium. Awards are announced at 3:30 PM. Each team member of the winning design from each class (BME 301 and 402) receives:
- $100 prize check
- A mounted certificate, and
- Recognition on the Tong BME Design Awards Plaque in the Engineering Centers Building
Attendees are provided:
- Food and beverages, served from 11 AM to noon and again from 3:00 to 4:30 PM
NOTE: Posters will remain up and partially staffed from 2:00 to 3:00 PM to allow for informal viewing by students, faculty, judges, and guests.
BME Department Chair: M. Elizabeth Meyerand, PhD
The Tong Biomedical Engineering Design Awards are made possible by a generous gift from the Tong Family Foundation (UW-Madison alumni Peter and Janet Tong).