2013 Biomedical Engineering Design Award Winners
The Biomedical Engineering Design Awards were presented May 3rd, 2013 on the UW-Madison College of Engineering campus.
The annual competition's Platinum Sponsor is, University of Wisconsin-Madison electrical engineering alumnus, Peter Tong and the Tong Family Foundation. This year's Gold Sponsor is GE Healthcare. The Tong awards reward biomedical engineering undergraduate teams that design innovative solutions and develop outstanding prototypes. Their work addresses real challenges that University of Wisconsin medical and life sciences faculty and area biomedical companies face and offer for the students to solve.
This year's second annual BME Design Excellence Award was presented by Faculty judges to teams who have shown excellence through the design process. This award is focused on critical-path research or specialized one-of-a kind devices. It does not require the team to perform market analysis, but instead should highlight how thoroughly the engineered solution addresses the client's problem through rigorous design, construction, testing and validation.
Tong Design Award Winners
- Katherine Baldwin, James (JD) Dorrance, Terah Hennick, and Alyssa Mitchell designed the "Selectable Endotracheal Lidocaine Applicator."
- Isabel Callan, Yuan He, Katherine Hildebrand, and Amanda Macallister received honorable mention for their design: "Cervical Cancer Screening Software for Use in Under-resourced Areas."
- Joseph Benert, Baljit (Jay) Kler, Nicholas Schapals, and Anyi(Ann)Wang designed the "Right-angle Dissector Scissors Hybrid Surgical Instrument ."
- Drew Birrenkott, Caleb Durante, Mike Nonte, Donald Weier, and Bradley Wendorff received honorable mention for their design: "Engineering World Health Project: Infant Cardiorespiratory Monitor."
Dennis Bahr, CEO, Bahr & Associates
Jennifer Bassett, Manager, EMD Millipore
Erwin Berthier, President, Tasso, Inc
Jeanine Burmania, Licensing Manager, WARF
Bonnie Reinke, CEO, Eso Technologies
Richard Schmidt, CEO, Medical Engineering Innovations
Laura Strong, President & COO, Quintessence Biosciences
Matthew Theil, Lead Systems Engineer, Neuwave Medical
Lisa Waples, Founder and President, Strategic Recruitment Services
Bruce Winkler, CEO, RA Sports
BME Design Excellence Award Winners
- Allison Benna, Emily Florence, Seve Strook and Joshua Zent designed the "Forearm segmental compression device for prevention of deep venous thrombosis ."
- Robert (Scott) Carson, Douglas Ciha, Paul Strand, and Gustavo (Zach) Vargas received honorable mention for their design: Device to help severely mentally ill patients to quit smoking ."
- Jeff Groskopf, Tyler Klann, Lisa Kohli, and Ian Linsmeier designed the "Optimizing derivation, expansion and differentiation of suspension reprogrammed stem cell cultures."
Faculty Guest Judges
Prof. Randolph Ashton
Prof. Paul Campagnola
Prof. Naomi Chesler
Prof. Wan-Ju Li
Prof. Beth Meyerand
Prof. Kris Saha
BME Exceptional Student Service Award
This year a special award was presented to senior Matthew Steven Bollom for his continued dedication and service to the department especially for his work above and beyond as BWIG Chair and Lead Student Assistant in BME 201.
The Tong Biomedical Engineering Design Awards are made possible by a generous gift from the Tong Family Foundation (UW-Madison alumni Peter and Janet Tong).