2012 Biomedical Engineering Design Award Winners
The Biomedical Engineering Design Awards were presented May 4th, 2012 on the UW-Madison College of Engineering campus.
The annual competition's Platinum Sponsor is, University of Wisconsin-Madison electrical engineering alumnus, Peter Tong and the Tong Family Foundation. This year's Gold Sponsor is GE Healthcare. The Tong awards reward biomedical engineering undergraduate teams that design innovative solutions and develop outstanding prototypes. Their work addresses real challenges that University of Wisconsin medical and life sciences faculty and area biomedical companies face and offer for the students to solve.
This year we are pleased to announce the first annual BME Design Excellence Award presented by Faculty judges to teams who have shown excellence through the design process. This award is focused on critical-path research or specialized one-of-a kind devices. It does not require the team to perform market analysis, but instead should highlight how thoroughly the engineered solution addresses the client’s problem through rigorous design, construction, testing and validation.
Tong Design Award Winners
- Joseph Benert, Taylor Jaraczewski , Baljit Kler , and Lucas Schimmelpfenning designed the “Water resistant boot for walking casts.”
- Christopher Besaw , Benjamin Smith, Donald Weier, and Stephen Young received honorable mention for their design: "Engineering World Health (EWH) infant respiratory rate monitor.”
- Kelsey Hoegh , Tanner Marshall, Laura Platner, Taylor Powers, and Daniel Tighe designed the “CidalSeal-Development of a biocidal surgical drain.”
- Jeffrey Hlinka, Shannon Hynes , and Kayla Stankevitz received honorable mention for their design: "A new vascular clamp for robotic partial nephrectomy.”
Tim Bank, Lead Designer, Pharmacy OneSource
Jennifer Bassett, Manager, EMD Millipore
Ray Harter, President, Marvel Medtech, LLC
Leon Janssen, Engineering Exec (Emeritus), GE Medical
Ivar Meyvantsson, Engineering Director, Invenra
Bonnie Reinke, CEO, Eso Technologies
Rick Schefelker, Vice President, NeuWave Medical
Laura Strong, President & COO, Quintessence Biosciences
Lisa Waples, Founder and President, Strategic Recruitment Services
BME Design Excellence Award Winners
- Gabriel Bautista , Kevin Beene , Kimberly Maciolek, and Hope Marshall designed the "Head holder for MR-guided drug delivery testing."
- Armand Grabowski, Naomi Humpal, Taylor Milne , and Nicholas Schapals received honorable mention for their design: "Developing a 3D model of the tongue and mouth to assess pressure generation when swallowing."
- Justin Cacciatore, Michael Konrath , James Madsen, Blake Marzella , and Bret Olson designed the "Standing Paraplegic Omni-directional Transport (SPOT).”
- Evan Flink, Andrew Hanske, Tongkeun Lee , and Nicholas Thate received honorable mention for their design: “MRI-compatible step dynamometer.”
Faculty Guest Judges
Prof. Chris Brace
Prof. Naomi Chesler
Prof. Pam Kreeger
Prof. Wan-Ju Li
Prof. Kristyn Masters
Prof. Brenda Ogle
BME Student Service Award
This year a special award was presented to senior Matthew Steven Bollom for his continued dedication and service to the department especially for his work above and beyond as BWIG Chair.
The Tong Biomedical Engineering Design Awards are made possible by a generous gift from the Tong Family Foundation (UW-Madison alumni Peter and Janet Tong).