2010 Tong Biomedical Engineering Design Award Winners
The Tong Biomedical Engineering Design Awards were presented May 7 on the UW-Madison College of Engineering campus.
The competition is sponsored by University of Wisconsin-Madison electrical engineering alumnus Peter Tong and the Tong Family Foundation. The Tong awards reward biomedical engineering undergraduate teams that design innovative solutions and develop outstanding prototypes. Their work addresses real challenges that University of Wisconsin medical and life sciences faculty and area biomedical companies face and offer for the students to solve.
- John Bryce, Jeff Hlinka, Alex Johnson, Sarah Reichert, and A. J. Sprangers designed the “Biogel release of epithelial growth factors to ocular surface.”
- Ross Comer, Jacob Meyer, David Schreier, and Tian Zhou received honorable mention for their design, the “Impedance cardiography.”
- Scott Carpenter, Ozair Chaudhry, Ryan Childs, Paul Fossum, and Evan Joyce designed the “Endotracheal tube to reduce ventilator-associated pneumonia.”
- Eamon Bernardoni, Jim Mott, Sam Paulsen, and Brooke Sampone received honorable mention for their design, the “Prosthetic ear attachment to cranial implant abutments.”
- Nate Cira, Amanda Feest, Hallie Kreitlow, and Ken Roggow designed the “Osteointegrated metacarpophalangeal joint replacement.”
- Joe Decker, Ryan Kimmel, Pat Kurkiewicz, Annie Loevinger, and Steve Welch received honorable mention for their design, “Delivery of aerosol drugs through CPAP.”
Tong BME Research and Development Award
- Jon Seaton and Jay Sekhon will continue research and development for their design, “Open-source imaging platform for small animal research.”
Sophomores (BME 201)
Randy Iliff, Director, Strategic Innovation, Bjorksten | bit 7
Ivar Meyvantsson, Group Leader, Bellbrook Laboratories
Bonnie Reinke, CEO, Eso-Technologies
Juniors (BME 301)
Jeanine Burmania, Licensing Manager, Wisconsin Alumni Research Foundation
Ray Harter, President, Marvel Medtech, LLC
Ray Sidney, Founder and CEO, Big George Ventures
Seniors (BME 402)
Dr. Jean Brittain, Chief Scientist & Manager, GE Healthcare
Rich Hogle, Vice President, Engineering, Wicab, Inc.
Rick Schefelke, Vice President, NeuWave Technologies
The Tong Biomedical Engineering Design Awards are made possible by a generous gift from the Tong Family Foundation (UW-Madison alumni Peter and Janet Tong).