Laying the groundwork for the college strategic plan
Thanks to all of you for your tremendous efforts this year. Having the opportunity to congratulate our students at graduation made me realize what you have accomplished. Our success depends on the success of our students and all of you should be extremely proud of helping shape the future careers of the 2013 graduating class. On their behalf, let me thank all of you for an exceptional year.
I also want to take this opportunity to inform you of some activities that will be launched for the next academic year. Engineering Physics Chair Jake Blanchard has agreed to serve as the chair of a committee that will lead the development of a new strategic plan. The other members are the chairs of your department.
Several new committees and groups have been formed:
- Leadership Council: Department chairs and associate deans. Biomedical Engineering Department Chair Beth Meyerand will serve as chair through the end of the 2013-14 academic year.
- Research Innovation Committee. Moehlman Bascom Professor of Industrial and Systems Engineering Patti Brennan will serve as the chair.
- Education Innovation Committee. Civil and Environmental Engineering Associate Professor Trina McMahon will serve as the chair.
- Equity and Diversity Committee. Chemical and Biological Engineering Professor Dave Lynn will serve as the chair.
- Student committees at both the undergraduate and graduate level have been established.
All of these activities require your engagement to be successful and I encourage you to interact with the members of all committees. Other changes that are taking place include tasking the Academic Planning Council with conducting a self-assessment of its activities and functionality. Paul A. Elfers and W. Harmon Ray Professor of Chemical and Biological Engineering Jim Rawlings, chair of the council, is leading this activity.
I hope all of you have an enjoyable summer and I look forward to working with you in the coming years.